Weighted Averages

L

Legacy 5596

Guest
All the examples I see on this are more complex than I need.

I simply want to add more weight to one number than another.

Example:
Col A Col B True AVG
41 52 47
32 18 25
22 95 56

I simply want Col B to handle 70% and Col A to handle only 30% of the weight when determining the final AVG. -- Help (no VB please)
 

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
On 2002-08-30 13:16, Roderick wrote:
All the examples I see on this are more complex than I need.

I simply want to add more weight to one number than another.

Example:
Col A Col B True AVG
41 52 47
32 18 25
22 95 56

I simply want Col B to handle 70% and Col A to handle only 30% of the weight when determining the final AVG. -- Help (no VB please)

Could you also indicate what Weighted Average result that you would like to secure?
 
Upvote 0
The avg of 41 & 52 is 47. I want 41 to carry on 30% of the weight and 52 to carry 70% of the weight. -- does that help?
 
Upvote 0
Why divide by 5.

Since we multiplied the two numbers by 3 & 7, we have a factor of ~10 added to the value we are averaging. The average function accounts for half of that because it divided by 2. We have to account for the rest by also dividing by 5. Hope that makes sense.
 
Upvote 0
On 2002-08-30 13:36, Roderick wrote:
The avg of 41 & 52 is 47. I want 41 to carry on 30% of the weight and 52 to carry 70% of the weight. -- does that help?

It is still the same question!

How do you currently calculate the weighted numbers and what answers do you get?


Is there another part of the question with information on the "weight"?
 
Upvote 0
Are you looking for the highest average or the lowest average?

I did something similar to this for a stock portfolio optimal risk. I can send you what I did.

Please provide a bit more information.
 
Upvote 0
This is for a call center.
Suppose for one we had 15,000 calls and for the next day we had 17,000. To project the third day's average (and need for csr scheduling) we are projecting that the avg will be more "weighted" to day 2, be it lower OR higher. Sort of like a TREND.
--
thanks everyone
 
Upvote 0
On 2002-08-30 15:01, Roderick wrote:
This is for a call center.
Suppose for one we had 15,000 calls and for the next day we had 17,000. To project the third day's average (and need for csr scheduling) we are projecting that the avg will be more "weighted" to day 2, be it lower OR higher. Sort of like a TREND.
--
thanks everyone

You still did not explain how you obtained your results...
 
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
1,219,029
Messages
6,145,871
Members
450,653
Latest member
volsfan210

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back
Top