Weighting Correlation Co-Efficients to measure performance

olimajor123

Board Regular
Hi,

I have some interesting data based on soccer that I am trying to use to measure performance based on the correlation coefficients.

I have data for each player in the English Premier League that shows how many goals they have scored and with this range of other data that contributes to this, see example below:

NameTeamGoalsBig ChancesGoal AttemptsShots - Inside BoxShots - Six Yard BoxShots On TargetTime PlayedTouches - Penalty AreaMinutes Per Chance
IbrahimovicMUN151695671139218620923

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have produced a correlation co-efficient table based on this info to see the link between goals scored and all the other factors to give coefficient values for each one, see below:

Big ChancesGoal AttemptsShots - Inside BoxShots - Six Yard BoxShots On TargetTime PlayedTouches - Penalty AreaMinutes Per Chance
Goals0.880.790.860.640.870.330.80-0.34

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I want to do is make a rough formula to predict how many goals the player 'should have' scored based on the data (chances, shots etc) using the co-efficients to weight the factors towards this. IE if big chances has the highest co-efficient it should be weighted more in the formula. The final goal of this would be to measure who has over and underperformed in scoring goals given the data provided.

I hope this makes sense, can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Unless I'm way off base, I fear that it's not as simple as correlation coefficients. You need to conduct a multiple Regression Analysis. This will produce the Regression Equation for predicting Goals, the other parameters and the error. E.g., Goals = constant + Chances + Attempts + Inside + Six +Target + Played + Touches + Minutes + standarderrror

Personally, I find most of these concepts baffling and trying to make sense of it all makes me frown. But watching this video on youtube from ExcelIsFun might just get us on the right track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBXXsxcp5k Also, reading through this might help too: Multiple Regression | Real Statistics Using Excel

That ExcelIsFun channel is a tremendous resource; it has dozens of videos related to statistics and their application in Excel. Perhaps you might find it educational.
<strike></strike>
Excel has an and-in that will do most of the heavy work: Analysis ToolPak<strike></strike>

Upvote 0
Unless I'm way off base, I fear that it's not as simple as correlation coefficients. You need to conduct a multiple Regression Analysis. This will produce the Regression Equation for predicting Goals, the other parameters and the error. E.g., Goals = constant + Chances + Attempts + Inside + Six +Target + Played + Touches + Minutes + standarderrror

Personally, I find most of these concepts baffling and trying to make sense of it all makes me frown. But watching this video on youtube from ExcelIsFun might just get us on the right track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBXXsxcp5k Also, reading through this might help too: Multiple Regression | Real Statistics Using Excel

That ExcelIsFun channel is a tremendous resource; it has dozens of videos related to statistics and their application in Excel. Perhaps you might find it educational.
<strike></strike>
Excel has an and-in that will do most of the heavy work: Analysis ToolPak<strike></strike>

Thanks - this was really really helpful and I have managed to do this now. I trimmed it down and just used the data that had the highest co-efficient as would be the most reliable and then used the regression tool shown in the video.

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Spendid. I'm glad your journey wasn't a wild goose chase.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back