What exactly is 'MrExcel MVP' and 'Board Regular'?

Darn, didn't work. How in the world did this board know I wasn't an Excel God? :biggrin:

Owen

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hmmm... from all the misdirection I am assuming that a "MrExcel MVP" is in reality a secret club that you have to gain access to through some secret handshake, sign, or... wait! Maybe its a bit of Excel code posted to this forum! Here goes!

I think it's: back, back, uppercut, forward, kick+triangle, forward, down, forward+punch

(I never get it right - that's why I'm a regular)

You also get awarded the MrExcel MVP for being particularly handsome. Greg got it 'cos he's helpful though...

You handsome?????????? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Now that I've recovered from that laughing ordeal!

Having a look at the profile of MVP there are few with sub 3000 posts so if that's your goal I think you're gonna have to be patient. :biggrin:

Now, normal folk (like me) are Board Regulars. The particularly helpful bunch are MVP's.... but if you really good you become a ".". Yup, Like Juan Pablo González, XL-Dennis and of course, Aladin!

. ?????????????????? :unsure:

Hmmm... from all the misdirection I am assuming that a "MrExcel MVP" is in reality a secret club that you have to gain access to through some secret handshake, sign, or... wait! Maybe its a bit of Excel code posted to this forum! Here goes!

Code:
If Intersect("MrExcel Message Board Forum","Handsome Excel God") = True then MrExcelBoardRank = "MrExcel MVP"

If that worked my MVP badge would have been in the post ages ago! Must check my unopened mail just in case I've missed something.

Maybe your badge got lost in the post and somehow ended up in Richards mail box :confused:

It's the only logical explanation about how the BFG has assumed the MVP title! :LOL:

JM,

Thanks for your excellent response. That was exactly what I was looking for. Didn't find that thread when I did my initial search on this subject, or else I would have never started us down this route!

Owen

JM,

Thanks for your excellent response. That was exactly what I was looking for. Didn't find that thread when I did my initial search on this subject, or else I would have never started us down this route!

Owen

And miss out on an opportunity to justify why I got the MrExcel MVP? No way! Glad you brought it up!

:LOL:

Code:
If Intersect("MrExcel Message Board Forum","Handsome Excel God") = True then MrExcelBoardRank = "MrExcel MVP"

Darn, didn't work. How in the world did this board know I wasn't an Excel God? :biggrin:

-Owen

Here's how this board knew you weren't an Excel god...
  • The intersect() function works on range objects, not on string variables.
  • The strings you used would not even make it as valid range names since they contain spaces and spaces are the intersect operator, making these names not only illegal; but the call to intersect() redundant.
  • The intersect() function returns a range object not a boolean value
  • The appropriate comparison operator would therefore be IS and you need to test against the NOTHING object.
  • Your test only evaluated good-lookingness, i.e. Erik and Richard would be patently rejected. Hence you need an OR + a comparison for helpfulness
  • A board rank would not be a string, but most likely an enumerated constant.
  • The group of MVP's would obviously be a collection and you failed to add yourself to such.
So, the correct code should go about like so:
Code:
Enum mrxlHelpLevels
    xlNewbie
    xlBoardRegular
    xlNotInept
    xlGettingThere
    xlOneGoldStar
    xlCanTellButtFromHoleInGround
    xlTwoWeeStars
    xlActuallyHelpful
    xlQuiteHelpful
    xlVeryHelpful
    xlAladin = 99
End Enum

If Not Intersect(Range("MrExcelMessageBoard"), Range("HandsomeExcelGods")) Is Nothing _
    Or Me.Helpfulness >= mrxlHelpLevels.xlVeryHelpful Then
       Me.BoardRanking = mrxlRankings.xlMVP

collMrExcelMVPs.Add Item:=Me.Name, Key:=Me.BoardID

End If

And, per Pook's recent thread -- please see #8 -- this works, but it has not been tested. :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back