What I thought was a simple Time format problem

clanny

I have about 2800 lines of data that haave a time stamp attached in the format

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 height=17 x:num="0.68048611111111112">16:19:54</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The cells are formatted as "custom" and hh:mm:ss. Unfortunately, I need the hours and minutes in separate columns for calculations. I am trying to set up a calculation to show the solar angles at different times during the day and at any day of the year so need a column of hours and a column of minutes.

As you can understand I can't change 2800 lines of data one by one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hello and welcome to MrExcel.

Does this help? You can fill down the formulas.

Data Format Sheet

<table style="font-family: Calibri,Arial; font-size: 11pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-left: 2pt; padding-right: 2pt;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <colgroup><col style="font-weight: bold; width: 30px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"></colgroup><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center; font-weight: bold; font-size: 8pt;"><td> </td><td>A</td><td>B</td><td>C</td></tr><tr style="height: 18px;"><td style="font-size: 8pt; background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); text-align: center;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;">16:19:54</td><td style="text-align: right;">16</td><td style="text-align: right;">19</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="border-style: groove; border-color: rgb(0, 255, 0); font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 252, 249); color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><tbody><tr><td>Spreadsheet Formulas</td></tr><tr><td><table style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt;" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(202, 202, 202); font-size: 10pt;"><td>Cell</td><td>Formula</td></tr><tr><td>B1</td><td>=HOUR(A1)</td></tr><tr><td>C1</td><td>=MINUTE(A1)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
Top work VoG - that works perfectly. Saved me an age there. :biggrin:

I'm trying to model a solar panel system for my honours project so it's quite likely I'll be on here a lot.

All the best.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back