What is a OLAP Cube?

Hlatigo

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty BASIC idea of what a OLAP cube is? I have googled it and I get nothing but super hi tech stuff that is beyond my scope of understanding. Such as the below: :rolleyes:

In database theory, an OLAP cube is an abstract representation of a projection of an RDBMS relation. Given a relation of order N, consider a (hopefully PK-preserving) projection that subtends X, Y, and Z as the key and W as the residual attribute. Characterizing this as a function,

W : (X,Y,Z) → W,
the attributes X, Y, and Z correspond to the axes of the cube, while the W value into which each ( X, Y, Z ) triple maps corresponds to the data element that populates each cell of the cube.

Insofar as two-dimensional output devices cannot readily characterize four dimensions, it is more practical to project "slices" of the data cube (we say project in the classic vector analytic sense of dimensional reduction, not in the SQL sense, although the two are clearly conceptually homologous), perhaps

W : (X,Y) → W
which, if not PK-preserving, may have some semantic significance nevertheless, perhaps a slice of the triadic functional representation for a given Z value of interest.

The motivation behind OLAP displays harks back to the cross-tabbed report paradigm of 1980s DBMS. One may wish for a spreadsheet-style display, where—to appropriate the Microsoft Excel paradigm—values of X populate row $1; values of Y populate column $A; and values of W : ( X, Y ) -> W populate the individual cells "southeast of" $B2, so to speak, $B2 itself included. While one can certainly use the DML of traditional SQL to display ( X, Y, W ) triples, this output format is not nearly as convenient as the cross-tabbed alternative: certainly, the former requires one to hunt linearly for a given ( X, Y ) pair in order to determine the corresponding W value, while the latter enables one to arguably more conveniently scan for the intersection of the proper X column with the proper Y row.

While the MDX (Multidimensional Expressions) language has been developed as a facile means for expressing OLAP problems, it is possible to translate the lion's share of these into traditional SQL, albeit frequently requiring the synthesis of clumsy expressions that rely heavily upon JOIN and UNION formulations liberally besprinkled with NULL values. Vendors have been slow—even altogether reluctant—to integrate MDX facilities with SQL at the lowest possible programmatic layer, e.g., the procedural API: Microsoft, for example, offers MDX only in the context of the stand-alone Data Analysis Services (DAS) tool that constructs an ornate GUI form governing a rectangular grid that it ultimately populates with the requested data tuples. There is no facility for incorporating MDX syntax into, say, DECLARE CURSOR or CREATE VIEW and, attendantly, no means for executing MDX queries and feeding the returned data into interactive data visualization (IDV) tools (such as Corda PopChart) that, after all, should not be stymied by any rectangular representation of data (surely—hierarchical column groupings and other unique MDX artifacts aside—a set of rigidly structured, domain-semantics-obedient tuples returned by an MDX query is no different in principle than a set of tuples returned by an SQL query)—but, in fact, are.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLAP_cube"

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
In my VERY limited understanding, OLAP stands for On-Line Analytical Processing (or some variant thereof). An OLAP cube is basically an extract of a database that allows you to select various data elements to be viewed, while performing calculations of those attributes automatically. You can also move the data elements around, in an on-the-fly fashion, giving you a different way of viewing/slicing/spinning the data.

For example:

Let's say that a database has baseball players and their teams, as well as some stats about the player (home state and # of homeruns).

Player 1 Darryl Strawberry Cincinnati Reds Idaho 10
Player 2 David Singleton St Louis Cards Michigan 15
Player 3 Johnny Bench Cincinnati Reds Ohio 77
Player 4 Eric Davis New York Mets Michigan 33

An OLAP cube of that database would show that you have
Spin 1) 2 Players from Michigan, 1 from Ohio, and 1 from Idaho
Spin 2) 48 Homeruns for people from Michigan, 77 from Ohio, and 10 from Idaho
Spin3) The cincinnati reds have the most homeruns, with New York trailing and St Louis taking up the end.

This is the very simplified version, and again, my limited understanding. Look at some books related to Hyperion Essbase, as I believe that is such a tool, and may shed some more light for you on the reporting capabilities of the OLAP Cube.

Upvote 0
THANKS!

That is very helpful and right along the lines of my understnding. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
"Cheat Sheet"

I have only been working with OLAP technology for about 9 months (via Cognos PowerPlay). It can get confusing at times. I have a sticky posted on my work monitor:

"Measures" = Numbers
"Dimensions" = Facts

Measures and Dimensions are the two groups that OLAP breaks data into. Once I got them in the right order it made things easier to understand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
owais87

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back