What is the ‘best’ way to import data into Excel from Access?

Stuck1

Board Regular
What is the ‘best’ way to import data into Excel from Access? I’m using Excel 2003 and I’m importing data that has been exported from an Access database (as an xls file), the data has the following fields:

1. Event (String)
2. Start Date
3. End Date

An ID is always present as is a START DATE, however the END DATE can sometimes be NULL as not every event has ended (yet). The problem is that Excel thinks the END DATE is a string field as the first record in the exported Access file is NULL. Therefore, the imported data in the END DATE column shows all values as NULL.

I have this problem every now and again, but this is an automated process, so I don’t want to have to employ any kind of work around, such as formatting and reformatting data or sorting and resorting. My method for importing data to Excel seems to be the problem. What am I missing??

Having read around the subject for the past hour or so I'm starting to think that exporting as xml and importing (into Excel) as xml is the way to go, I've never used this format, it seems straight forward, but I don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks for any help.

This is a cross posted here: What is the

Sorry for being a little impatient, but I hoping to sort this as soon as possible, as I can't carry on with the rest of the db until this bit is sorted.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingwi11y

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back