What is the most frustrating thing about excel?

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
My pet peeve is the Find/Replace dialog box. Why is there an "Options>>" button? I mean, once you click the "Options>>" button, the dialog box is quite small so there is no screen "real estate" issues requiring some of the dialog box to be compacted. Also, given that some of the items on that expanded dialog box are remembered from previous uses (whether those uses were made manually in a previous use of Find/Replace or via VBA code), one pretty much has to click the "Options>>" button anyway just to make sure one of those remembered settings doesn't conflict with the current needs. I know this is a small thing, but it really irks me, especially when answering a question and having to tell the OP to click the "Options>>" button in order to check the setting for (usually) the "Match entire cell contents" checkbox.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I'll echo that Rick. I've been caught out before where I used VBA to change the settings and then become immensely frustrated trying to find a value using the UI - not clicking that it has changed the settings in the dialog too.

J.Ty.

Office Version
365, 2013, 2010
Platform
Windows, Web
1. Small window of "Evaluate Formula" (would it cost more to make it bigger or resizeable?)
2. Small and awkwardly unconvenient formula editors in Data Validation, Name Manager, Conditional Formatting and the like.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
My pet peeve is the Find/Replace dialog box.
Agreed

1. Small window of "Evaluate Formula" (would it cost more to make it bigger or resizeable?)
2. Small and awkwardly unconvenient formula editors in Data Validation, Name Manager, Conditional Formatting and the like.
Agreed to both - especially the Evaluate Formula box. It is ridiculous!

I'm not so against merged cells. Whilst they are sometimes a problem, I believe they do have their place and mostly can be managed adequately in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naturally_data

This Week's Hot Topics