Where to go to learn about ODBC and Database connection

urnumdei

I am using 2003, and there is a report in my department that is being run. I believe an ODBC would be much easier than the current set up we have. I don't know if my database is excel friendly, but I would like to learn more about ODBC.

I couldn't find anything on Tech on the Net, and that's been my best resource for excel things (other than Mr. Excel's forum of course)

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I am using 2003, and there is a report in my department that is being run. I believe an ODBC would be much easier than the current set up we have. I don't know if my database is excel friendly, but I would like to learn more about ODBC.

I couldn't find anything on Tech on the Net, and that's been my best resource for excel things (other than Mr. Excel's forum of course)

Thanks

Go to your control panel under system tools, create a new odbc. you made need a driver for something like spss. In excel under the data command go click on external data and find your odbc, hth

Upvote 0
The best way to learn is exactly as r3x3 suggests- just do it. That is how most of us did it- start simple, and gradually get more and more complicated.

You have to start by setting up a DSN (data source) on your PC or server, and to do that you need to know what sort of database it is you are connecting to- Informix, Oracle, SQL, Access, simple text, whatever. For the big ones, Informix and Oracle, you need special drivers. The others are included with Excel. All have wizards to help you get set up. Setting the DSN up is a one time thing and your DBA can be a lot of help, as it has to be done right.

After you get started and you have a specific question and can tell us precisely what you are trying to connect to and what it is doing, we should be able to help with a lot greater detail.

Upvote 0
This forum will have vast numbers of examples of how to query external DBs from Excel. Some people like to simply use the Get External Data function (utilising MS Query) whilst others like myself prefer using ADO with VBA directly (ie not using MS Query).

If you search both the Excel and Access formums for threads on:

MS Query
ADO
DAO (particularly if using Access)

You should find a lot of examples to get you started.

The guys above are all right that you must have the requisite driver installed in first instance. Creating a preconfigured DSN (System or User) is recommended but you can create on the fly in VBA if preferred.

EDIT: Tom posted simultaneously ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyCap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back