which cell is different

SamS

I have about 2500 rows and 7 columns of data A - G (text), each row of data should be the same information in each of the columns but as it turns out people have modified some data even when asked not to. In column H, I would like a formula to return the odd piece of data in each row, is this possible without resorting to VBA.

Column A is what the cells should be matched against as this was the original data.

Last edited:
With the sample data given (no spaces in each cell) and multiple differences, you could list them all like this:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGH
1aaaaawaw
2bbxbybbx y
3ccccccc
4ddqwerdq w e r
Find Difference

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Peter, thanks so much, I have rebooted my other PC and the file is back up and running. I tried your previous solution and it worked. I will play with your second solution but I also need time to digest the formula you have provided.

Lasw10 - I also thank you as I had some thoughts along the line you were taking with the CHOOSE function but could not get it to work.

Upvote 0
With the sample data given (no spaces in each cell) and multiple differences, you could list them all like this:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGH
1aaaaawaw
2bbxbybbx y
3ccccccc*
4ddqwerdq w e r
Find Difference

Peter, thisst formula picked up =SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATE(B1,C1,D1,E1,F1,G1),A1,"") other errors as well so I did not need to adjust the formula at all, once again many thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back