Why can't my numbers add up to 100%?

useless clueless

I am doing absolutely masses of simple sums in Excel (X for Mac) to then produce charts for a report - but I am having to illustrate the actual
figures as whole percentages and that is getting me hot under the collar - as my little lists rarely add up to an exact 100%. Now, I can
understand where the discrepancy is creeping in with the rounding and all - but is there a sneaky way to get Excel to make the adjustment
for me so that the percentages always total 100%?

Here is an example from my sheet, where the actual figures are added to equal 200, and the cell showing the percentage figure has a simple
formula at present of for example "=(B71/B76)" where B71 is the actual figure (in this case, 12) and B76 is the sum of all the actual figures
(200 below) and the cell is then set to be a percentage with zero decimal places.

<link id="Main-File" rel="Main-File" href="file://localhost/Users/Fiona/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip.htm"> <style> <!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";} td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:windowtext; font-size:10.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;} .xl28 {mso-number-format:"0\.0%";} .xl29 {mso-number-format:0%;} ruby {ruby-align:left;} rt {color:windowtext; font-size:8.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0; mso-char-type:none; display:none;} --> </style> <table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="150"> <!--StartFragment--> <col width="75"> <col width="75"> <tbody><tr height="13"> <td x:num="12.0" align="right" height="13" width="75">12</td> <td class="xl29" x:num="0.06" align="right" width="75">6%</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="105.0" align="right" height="13">105</td> <td class="xl29" x:num="0.525" align="right">53%</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="44.0" align="right" height="13">44</td> <td class="xl29" x:num="0.22" align="right">22%</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="31.0" align="right" height="13">31</td> <td class="xl29" x:num="0.155" align="right">16%</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="8.0" align="right" height="13">8</td> <td class="xl29" x:num="0.04" align="right">4%</td> </tr> <tr height="13"> <td x:num="200.0" align="right" height="13">200</td> <td class="xl28">
</td> </tr> <!--EndFragment--> </tbody></table>
So you can see that my percentages here total 101%!

I have spent hours trying to research a sneaky way and am starting to think I'm asking for the impossible - and will just have to 'adjust' the
percentages manually to make my 90 charts look accurate!

Many thanks as always, here's hoping.

Numbers may not add to 100% because of rounding errors.

This may convey the impression that something is wrong.

Better ;-

"Numbers may not add to 100% because of rounding."

But... I'm not the boss, he is! So I just have to do what I'm told.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say if he happens to work out later that some of the percentages are a bit off.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You are welcome.
However keep your eyes open for those gotchas mentioned by Mike and Tushar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavesib

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back