Why Does Excel Default to Bottom Alignment

pjmorris

Office Version
Platform
Windows
As per the title - does anyone have a convincing reason why the default cell alignment (text, number, whatever) is 'Bottom' - its perhaps the most annoying feature of this amazing product - and tedious to change on every spreadsheet I create or use. Tables in Word are Top aligned by default, why is Excel different?

I know how to change the alignment, but its a nuisance that it isn't a default setting.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
If it's that annoying for you, you could just change the Normal style in a workbook and save it as your Book.xltx template in the xlstart folder?

pjmorris

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I have done that - following you're advice - so thank you (I'd tried before and for some reason always got it wrong!).

That still doesn't answer why Excel's authors prefer Bottom to Top, I've never found anyone who likes that arrangement - but found plenty who simply put up with it because they don't know any different and that isn't a justification.

Thanks for the feedback though.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
Conversely, I like it and have never encountered anyone who had an issue with it, until now. :)

pjmorris

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I guess the only thing I can say to that is 'isn't it a good job we're all different!' (though clearly you're wrong :))

footoo

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I guess the only thing I can say to that is 'isn't it a good job we're all different!' (though clearly you're wrong :))
You're both wrong! Centre alignment is the way to go.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeachMeExcelPlease

This Week's Hot Topics