Why doubleclick to select cell?

japumatrsi

Since updating to a new computer and Excel 2002, I have to click twice to actually select a different cell or tab. I find myself clicking once and, thinking I'm in the right spot, entering data in the wrong cell. There must be a setting to choose this, as well as the queer results if I type a cell, Enter, and think try to use my arrow keys to the right or left. I just keep going down or up in that one colum.

Guess this is actually two questions, but the clicking twice is driving me nuts.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Sounds like a mouse issue. Check your mouse settings in the Control Panel. Otherwise try another mouse.

Upvote 0
For the second part of your question, is the "Scroll Lock" button selected opn your keyboard?

Upvote 0
Curiously enough, Excel Help has this to say:

Edit cell contents
-Double-click the cell that contains the data you want to edit.
-Make any changes to the cell contents.
-To enter your changes, press ENTER.
-To cancel your changes, press ESC.

But I don't remember ever having to doubleclick, not even in Excel 97

Upvote 0
Doubleclick puts you inside the cell ready to edit without reentering entire contents. I am copying and pasting from one spreadsheet to another with both vertically arranged on the screen.

Upvote 0
You say you are copying from one spreadsheet and then Pasting on another. Well, say you are on SS1. When you click on SS2, you simply have selected SS2. Then, your second click selects the cell. As I see it, everything is normal!

Upvote 0
So I can't select a new cell in SS2 with a single click? How irritating....so I have to live with it and I'll use it a lot. I could use Alt-Tab between spreadsheets, but a double click is probably easier, especially using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V constantly. Thanks for straightening me out.

Upvote 0
japumatrsi, good news! All is not lost! i have found a sort of a shortcut to your annoyance!

Say you are copying from SS1 to SS2.
Say you are on SS1-B3, and you do a Ctl+c (you copied SS1-B3 to the ClipBoard). Just slide the mouse cursor to the next cell you are going to copy, say SS1-F5, and click (or, use the arrow keys to get to SS1-F5, no clicking required with this method). Now, go to, say, SS2-B3, and Paste (Ctrl+v), and slide the mouse cursor to the next cell you will be pasting in, say SS2-F5, and click there (or, use the arrow method).

Now, go to SS1 and click. Huh! You will see that the highlighted cell is the last one you had clicked on (mouse method) or pointed to (arrow method), SS1-F5, in this case! Now, you only have to Copy (Ctrl+c), move the mouse cursor to the next cell you are going to copy, and click (or, use the arrow method, without clicking). Now, go to SS2 and click. Wow, the highlighed cell is the last one you were in before, SS2-F5. Again, you have only to Paste (Ctrl+v) to finish the job!

And so on.

I do believe that, once you practice this, you will gain in speed. Try it, you might like it!

Upvote 0
RalphA, I do believe this method will help.....I have to click in the next cell sooner or later! Thanks so much for taking the time to find me a shorter, less frustrating way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back