Why is my code merging cells?

tmd63

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
I open a text CSV file for import into a new workbook then copy the data out into my workbook!
But the copied data has merged 2 columns together and I cannot figure out why.
VBA Code:
    Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=MyFile, Origin:=xlMSDOS, StartRow:=2, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, xlPart, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    ActiveSheet.Range("A1:B" & LastRow).Select
    Selection.Copy

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

ActiveWorkbook.Close

Worksheets("CSV").Select
    Worksheets("CSV").PasteSpecial

I open this new file from line 2 as line 1 is blank.
But why does the opened CSV file have XXXX in column A and R28 in column B but the copy in my workbook is column A only as XXXX[Tab]R28??

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I have managed to work out the issue is with the copy

VBA Code:
    LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, xlPart, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    Selection.Copy
Appears to merge columns A and B when copying from a code opened CSV file! As I stopped the code after the copy and when pasting, it is already merged. I am trying to copy two columns from a CSV file into an xls sheet.

After I get the user to find the file I use Workbooks.OpenText to open the file.

VBA Code:
    Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=MyFile, Origin:=xlMSDOS, StartRow:=2, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Upvote 0
It looks like your code is using the comma as a delimiter, and double-quotes as Text Qualifier.
Are the two fields split in your CSV with a comma, and NOT enclosed within double-quotes?

It would probably be beneficial if we could see a small sample of data in your CSV file (BEFORE opening in Excel).
It is really difficult to tell you why the data is merged if we cannot see what the data actually looks like!

Upvote 0
It looks like your code is using the comma as a delimiter, and double-quotes as Text Qualifier.
Are the two fields split in your CSV with a comma, and NOT enclosed within double-quotes?

It would probably be beneficial if we could see a small sample of data in your CSV file (BEFORE opening in Excel).
It is really difficult to tell you why the data is merged if we cannot see what the data actually looks like!

[ 100036790 , U7 ]
[ 100036790 , U6 ]
[ 100120628 , J3 ]
[ 100270885 , U9 ]

There are a number of spaces in each line.

Should this file have :
"100036790","U7"
"100036790","U6" etc instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see what you mean. Really odd, it does not seem to like it if you close the CSV file before pasting the data.
This adaptation works for me.
VBA Code:
    Dim wb1 As Workbook, wb2 As Workbook

'   Capture current workbook as wb1
    Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook

'   Capture new workbook as wb2
    Set wb2 = ActiveWorkbook

LastRow = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, xlPart, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    Range("A1:B" & LastRow).Copy

wb1.Activate
    Worksheets("CSV").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

'   Close wb2
    wb2.Close

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0
Solution
I see what you mean. Really odd, it does not seem to like it if you close the CSV file before pasting the data.
This adaptation works for me.
VBA Code:

'   Capture current workbook as wb1
    Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook

'   Capture new workbook as wb2
    Set wb2 = ActiveWorkbook

LastRow = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, xlPart, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    Range("A1:B" & LastRow).Copy

wb1.Activate
    Worksheets("CSV").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

'   Close wb2
    wb2.Close

Not quite working perfectly, but then I am using the backward compatibility and saving the original excel as 97-2003. but this does point me to where the issue was. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Not quite working perfectly, but then I am using the backward compatibility and saving the original excel as 97-2003. but this does point me to where the issue was. Thank you.
What was the issue?

Upvote 0
What was the issue?
The uploaded CSV file was being closed before the paste.

VBA Code:
Sub Insert_CSV()
'
' Insert_CSV Macro
' This copies the CSV external data into the CSV table

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim MyFile As String
    Dim LastRow As Long

'new variables (from MrExcel)

'Rev AF added error handling
On Error GoTo Err_Insert

'Workbooks.Open (MyFile)

'Capture current workbook as wb1
    Set wb1 = ActiveWorkbook

'Clear the CSV page before use
    Worksheets("CSV").Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("A1:U" & LastRow).Select
    Selection.Delete

'Set the selection interface for users to find the file
    MyFile = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.*),*.*", , "Select Procurement CSV File", "Open", False)

'Open the selected file as a comma delimited workbook

'Capture new workbook as wb2
    Set wb2 = ActiveWorkbook

'Select the first 2 columns of the new workbook and copy
    Selection.Copy

wb1.Activate
    Worksheets("CSV").Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Select
    Worksheets("CSV").Paste

'Close the new workbook
    wb2.Close

MsgBox ("CSV has been loaded")

Exit Sub

Err_Insert:
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, Err.Number

End Sub

Upvote 0
Ah, so it was what I said.

I don't pretend to understand why that is a problem (and it is a problem on 365 too), but noticed that it does seem to work when you wait to close the file until after you paste.
I wish I had an explanation as to "why", but I guess as long as it works, that is the important thing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back