Why Option Explicit?

frabulator

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been programing in VBA Excel for a little over a decade now, and have never found a situation where using Option Explicit was necessary to run my code.

Why do I always see that people say you have to use it when writing macros? Or, that it is a 'noob mistake' to leave it out?

Is it really that necessary in Excel?

As I said, I have never ran into an issue in writing add-ins and custom macros that needed Option Explicit to fix a bug or an issue I was having. Could some one explain to me why it is important, when to use it, and what it exactly achieves? Personally, I see no point in extra work for no gain, but I would like to be proven wrong!

~Frab

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Not necessary but helpful as when coding as it detects spelling errors in your variables, therefore if your code will error when run or you have missed declaring a variable (obviously only helpful if you choose to declare your variables)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bill Jelen's take on it

Upvote 0
Like you I'm self-taught and have been coding in VBA for a long time.

I find it useful because if you use the Excel VBA editor, option explicit forces you to declare the variables, and once that's done the editor takes care of all the formatting and highlights any errors. For example, if I declare a variable such as:
Dim lastRow as long
then in the subsequent code I can type lastrow in any mix of caps or lowercase I like and it will correct it. And as @MARK858 has already pointed out if I make a typo it will give me an error at compile time instead of an unexpected outcome when the code executes.

Upvote 0
IMO it's good practice, it helps me with debugging due to the variables being forcefully defined 'properly', for example:

If you run the below, the error arrives on the msgbox line and may leave you thinking, why? Especially if you assigned the value to 'rNum' earlier in the code.
VBA Code:
Sub test2()
    rNum = "Hi"
    ' lots of other code...
    MsgBox rNum + 1 ' code fails here
End Sub

However, if you run the below then the error arrives when assigning the value to 'rNum', this makes it more logical to me as to what is causing the error before you get to the msgbox part:
VBA Code:
Sub test4()
    Dim rNum As Integer

rNum = "Hi" ' code fails here
    ' lots of other code
    MsgBox rNum + 1
End Sub

I find using it more beneficial than not using it.

Upvote 0
Not necessary, but highly recommended.
I turn it on and use it all the time.
I am not a good typist, and it catches all my variable typos, and saves me a bunch of debugging headaches!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back