Wind Calculator

aviator

Hi there, this is my forst time to the board. Hope you can help. I am a pilot and I am trying to write a wind calculator program for the Flight Planning Dept of my Company. This is the situation. Environment Canada issues winds (velocity and drection)for certain altitudes i.e. 12000 feet ASl 18000 feet ASL etc. This data is taken from hundreds of stations across Canada. They do not list all the altitudes though. My program will list the velocity and speed at the altitudes not given by Environment Canada. The math is very basic but the progam will save the dispatchers al lot of time. Here is my problem. Wind is given is degrees thus South equals 180, West 270 and North 360 etc. I was using this formula "=MOD(AVERAGE(B5,E5),360)" however wind always increases clockwise as the altitude increases. So if I have a wind at 12000 feet of 340 degrees and 010 degrees at 18000 the program will give an average of 175 which is mathematically correct but not realistic (it would be 355. How can I get the program to always add the average to the first variable...in this case the 340?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I was told I could "bump" this to have it looked at again. :rolleyes:

I want to know how to modify A26 on, and B 26 on, if I have 3 sets of data in the top part of my sheet, meaning I can enter a wind if 12000 and 18000 from station a , b and c.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back