***WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT*** June/July 2008 Challenge of the Month

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Richard,

After reading the post, I seem to be more confuse. Could you please explain it in lament's term. Thanks.

Phamacom80

This solution for the challenge was submitted by
Barry Houdini

=LOOKUP(2^15,SEARCH(D$2:D$10,A2),E$2:E$10)

Explanation:

SEARCH received D$2:D$10 as the findtext argument. So It returned the results as an array like this {14;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!}
since the keyword "Blue" in A2 was found in the 1st row of the keyword column, SEARCH returned 14 (the position of the keyword from A2).

Then, the results returned by the SEARCH is used for the Lookup_vector argument of the Lookup function.

A cell can contain characters up to 32767 which is same as 2^15.

LOOKUP trie to match 32767 in the lookup_vector which is the search results shown above, since it could not find it, it matched the largest value that is 14 (the 1st value) sitting in the 1st position. so the lookup returned what ever found in the same position in Assigned to column which is Joe.

Formula Result:

=LOOKUP(2^15,{14;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!},{"Joe";"Bob";"Mary";"Fred";"Ralph";"Lora";"Tracy";"Earl";"Jenny"})

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("blue",A3))),VLOOKUP("blue",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("red",A3))),VLOOKUP("red",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("yellow",A3))),VLOOKUP("yellow",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("pink",A3))),VLOOKUP("pink",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("orange",A3))),VLOOKUP("orange",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("brown",A3))),VLOOKUP("brown",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("white",A3))),VLOOKUP("white",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("lavendar",A3))),VLOOKUP("lavendar",D:E,2),"") &
IF(NOT(ISERROR(FIND("magenta",A3))),VLOOKUP("magenta",D:E,2),"")
adapted to any size via dragging down or double-clicking the corner .. no nesting used so it should be legit solution

Re: June/July 2008 Challenge of the Month

2^15 = 32,768
32,768 is exactly 1/2 of the maximum number of rows in an Excel 97-03 spreadsheet (65,536).
2^16 = 65,536
I'm not sure exactly why it's 1/2 the max rows rather than the full amount of max rows, but...

The most elegant solution is always the simplest solution, provided that it is sufficient.

And from a pragmatic viewpoint, there's no point in wasting processing power handling that super large 3.9999999E307 number when you can use a smaller, but still sufficient one.

2^15 = 32,768
32,768 is exactly 1/2 of the maximum number of rows in an Excel 97-03 spreadsheet (65,536).
2^16 = 65,536
I'm not sure exactly why it's 1/2 the max rows rather than the full amount of max rows, but...

The most elegant solution is always the simplest solution, provided that it is sufficient.

And from a pragmatic viewpoint, there's no point in wasting processing power handling that super large 3.9999999E307 number when you can use a smaller, but still sufficient one.

are you talking about my solution or the "chosen" solution?

2^15 = 32,768
2^16 = 65,536

Are you claiming that

2^16

is processed faster than

9.99999999999999E+307

which is mentioned in Help under Excel specifications and limits? If so, would you also explain why?

Cause I just found this forum. And I am so interested in Excel and VBA.

Here is my solution as an UDF.

Code:
Function proLookUp(refCell As Range, rangeSrc As Range, indexNum As Integer)

Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To rangeSrc.Rows.Count

If InStr(1, refCell.Value, rangeSrc(i, 1).Value, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then proLookUp = rangeSrc(i, indexNum): Exit For

Next i

End Function

sample usage, input "=proLookUp(A2,$D$2:$F$10,2)" in cell B2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back