Word Wrap and Auto Fit

JustTrying

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/emachine/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Can you please tell me how to make word wrap and auto fit row height work in Excel?
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
I have a form with over a thousand lines that has paragraphs of data along with numbers that must be manipulated. Individual adjustment of lines is not acceptable. Because the user has limited computer skills, the form must be a simple fill in the blanks type. Pre-formatted paragraphs are selected from a larger group based on user input and eventually printed in the final document produced.
I have tried changing the font, changing the column width, but can not get word wrap and auto fit to work reliably.
The same problem shows up in Excel 97, 2000, 2007, 2010 and has been tried on several different computes from different manufactures and on several different printers also of different manufactures as well as a PDF converter.

An example:
The text is as follows (329 characters)
“The Contractor shall take any and all precautions necessary to ensure that fixtures and materials, which are temporarily removed during any phase of construction, are protected from damage, vandalism and/or theft. Damage to property caused by the Contractor shall be repaired or replaced by the Contractor at his/her own expense.”
Cell width is 69.82
Font is Arial 11 point
There are no merged cells
Auto-fit is on
Word Wrap is on
What prints is:
“The Contractor shall take any and all precautions necessary to ensure that fixtures and materials, which are temporarily removed during any phase of construction, are protected from damage, vandalism and/or theft. Damage to property caused by the Contractor shall be repaired or replaced by the Contractor at his/her own”
The text “expense.” is lost
The print preview also has lost text.(same as the print out)
Manual adjustment of the cell shows the complete text. As mentions this is not a solution.
Insertion of Alt-Enter can fix it sometimes, but can require more than one. Again this is unreliable. Automatically insertion of Alt-Enter(s) also produces unnecessary extra blank lines, extending the document unacceptably, and confusing the presentation.
If the effected paragraphs are copied and pasted into Word using RTF, all characters are there. This is not a solution due to the complexity.
This is just one example several appear throughout the document. It is independent of length of the line, some fail with as low as 88 characters, this particular one has 329 characters, while others with over 700 characters work just fine.
I have researched this on the web and find I am not alone. I find references to 1026 limit as to what will show in a cell, I have also seen a limit of 255 in some instances but this seems not to be the case. The assumption is that word wrap and auto fit do not work in merged cells, so the form was developed with the largest column width for the sections needing word wrapping and not with merged cells. Macros have been presented that are supposed to take care of the problem, but they also seem to give unreliable results.
The document also has sections that will be filled in by the user and may require them to input data of more than 255 characters.
Needles to say if the form can not be relied upon to present ALL data input into it, it is worse than useless.
Why, after at least 13 years (between 97 and 2010), is it unreasonable to expect word wrap and auto fit to simply work, am I missing something?
A solution using Excel 2000 would be optimum as I have little experience with 2007 just yet.
If no solution exists, can you suggest another spreadsheet program that will? (OpenOffice, Google, QuickBase, Sphygmic, Lotus, or any others?)

Any help or explanations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I've just pasted your text into my Excel 2007 and applied your settings and it shows everything.

Upvote 0
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/emachine/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Arial Unicode MS"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@Arial Unicode MS"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Thank you so much for looking into my problem.
My example was from a Excel 2000 attempt.
Although the problem exists in all versions of Excel that I have tried, the same text may not evoke the problem in each. In general entering extensive text in multiple cells eventually will result in loss of text when printed.
If I could impose on you again, the following text shows the problem on my computer in Excel 2007:
<table style="width: 418pt; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="557"> <tbody><tr style="height: 71.25pt;"> <td style="width: 418pt; padding: 0in; height: 71.25pt;" valign="top" width="557"> “Provide and install new 4” rigid aluminum vent tubing from the dryer location to a 4” wall mounted dryer vent hood with a back-flow preventer and no screening. Do not fasten with nails, screws or other fasteners that protrude into the interior of the exhaust duct. Seal all seams in the system with duct mastic or aluminum foil tape, not duct tape. Secure duct and hood to framing and vent to an exterior wall or roof.”<o:p></o:p>
Cell width is 50
Font is Arial 11 point
There are no merged cells
Auto-fit is on
Word Wrap is on
The result is “ wall or roof” get dropped off the print because they go to the next line and auto fit fails to include them.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> There are many more examples, but in general I see problems using multiple lines of text.
If you will indulge me, try pasting many lines form any document and test the results.
Even keeping under the 1027 limit, you should see a loss of the end of lines eventually.
Again thanks for trying, any help or thoughts you may have are appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi, at last I've found someone who's having the same problem I am!
I have just added a post about this issue:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492324

It appears to be a random type of event, and the loss of text in Print Preview, and also when printing, makes this part of Excel unreliable.

I tried to analyse this problem by providing an example in my post, by creating an adjustable test for the problem. I can replicate the problem on my PCs at home and at work, and using Excel 2003 and 2007. However, I have had a reply from another forum where he could not replicate it. Very puzzling! Could I kindly ask you to try and replicate the example? At least I now know I'm not alone with the occurrence of this problem.

Many thanks,
Pete.

Upvote 0
Using my test example, and a lot of fiddling about with the code, I think I have an answer to this problem.
How to prevent loss of text at the end of a string (“clipping”), in Print Preview, and printing?
1. Make sure a cell does not contain more than 1024 characters (formatted “General”).
2. Make sure the cell width containing the text, is just less than the Right Margin setting. The cell width is indicated in the Print Preview by a small “marker” at the top of the page. This becomes visible when “show margins” is selected. If this cell width marker is “equal to” or “greater than” the Right Margin setting, then text “clipping” will occur at the end of the string, in Print Preview (and therefore when Printed).
I hope this information helps anyone else having this problem.

Cheers,
Pete.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back