Work out project end date and time

L

Legacy 171839

Hi,

Once again I call upon those with skills > mine, who never fail to disappoint.

So, cell A1 has date time 04/03/2013 08:00, which is when I will begin a new project/piece of work.

I estimate that piece of work will take 168 hours to complete.

If I enter 168:00 in B1, then =A1+B1 in C1, it tells me the job will be complete on 11/03/2013 08:00.

Now, the obvious flaw here is I don't work 24/7 (as much as my boss wished I did I'm sure).

I'd like a calculation that takes into account I work a 7 hour day, Monday to Friday (0800 - 1600 with 1 hr lunch), so the calculation should have the above piece finishing at 04/04/2013 16:00.

My preference is not to use vba, though if it's the only solution I'll gladly take it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
It does to an extent thanks, yes.

What if however, I did work 1 saturday, or a half day one wednesday? Anyone aware of a formula with a variable like that that could be tinkered with?

Upvote 0
There are probably many ways to go about this but I quickly put the below together. It's not complete as it's not dealing with the hours exactly but in terms of days it should be a good enough estimate. Probably worth others checking it though as it's the end of the day.

CELL A1 = Start Date = 04/03/2013 (date format)
CELL B1 = Predicted time (hours) to complete job = 168.00 (number or general format)
CELL C1 = End Date = "=A1+((B1/7)-NETWORKDAYS(A1,A1+(B1/7))+(B1/7))-D1" (date format)
CELL D1 = Extra Days such as the number of weekend days you will work (number or general format)

My result was 02/04/2013

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, again this doesn't deal with exact time, but it will give you the end date.

A1 = "=SUM($B$1:B1)"
B1 = "=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(C1)=1,WEEKDAY(C1)=7),0,1)"
C1 = Your start date
C2 = "=C1+1"
D1 = The amount of hours
E1 = "=VLOOKUP(D1/7,A:C,3,FALSE)-F1"
F1 = Weekend days worked

Then expand columns A,B and C (from cell C2) down for as many days required. Row 365 would seem enough to me.

*EDIT*

Modifying the above should be easy enough to include the time, I might come back to it later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help Boltie, But I'm getting N/A from the VLOOKUP. What's the "D1/7" bit all about? Never seen that before?

Upvote 0
It works when I remove the "/7", and also if I enter the estimated time in days, not hours.

Upvote 0
The D1/7 was to work out from the hours how many working days it would be. It should have been /6 really as there is the 1 hour dinner to account for.

I went back to this last night for about an hour and did develop it to include the time (working to periods of 15 minutes). I got it working well up to a certain point. I'll explain the problems later and upload my worksheet when I get home if you like?

The above solution is quite crude really. I'm not sure why you're getting N/A.

Upvote 0
Sheesh, thanks for all the effort - appreciated... hope you're able to use the outcome yourself for something at least...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back