Working with NamedRanges in VBA

svjensen

Board Regular
This might be elementary, but I cannot get it to work.

I need to name range in VBA, work with the named ranges afterwards and change the names. I have split it into e couple of questions below.

1. Naming a range
By using 'Worksheets("Ark1").Range("C4").Name = Worksheets("Ark1").Range("C3").Value' I named cell C4.
This worked fine (but it is the most appropriate method?).

2. Retrieving a name
By using 'Worksheets("Arka").Range("C4").Name' I try to retrieve the name for cell C4, but this does not work for me. In stead of the expected name I get '=Ark1!$C$4'.
How do I retrieve the name (in this case 'Test')?

3. Renaming a range
The next thing I need to do is rename the cell. How do I go about that?

/Soren

In fact I suppose the one thing this isn't doing is validating that the text in the cell is a valid name. There are various rules around valid names.

This method here makes sure that if the text in the cell is an invalid name, then it will leave it be (no delete).
If the cell is not named then it will name it.
If the cell is already named then it will rename it and delete the old name.

Code:
Sub RenameCell()
'//renames a cell, removes the old name

Dim rngCELL As Range
    Dim strNAME As String

Set rngCELL = Worksheets("Ark1").Range("C4")

On Error Resume Next
        strNAME = rngCELL.Name.Name

With rngCELL
        On Error GoTo errHandler
            .Name = .Text
        On Error GoTo Finish
            ThisWorkbook.Names(strNAME).Delete
    End With

GoTo Finish

errHandler:
    MsgBox "The text in " & rngCELL.Address & " is not a valid range name!", vbCritical

Finish:

End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I follow you most of the way, but I do have one question.
After deleting the current/old name, you set the new name by using '.Name = .Text'.
But if I understand it correctly that will use the content (text) of the cell itself as the new name. Which if not want I need.
I can of course replace that bit, but I would like to understand exactly what you are trying to do.

Thanks, Soren

Upvote 0
You want to take the text from the cell above don't you? If so then use:

.Name = .Offset(-1).Text

Upvote 0
Ok, got that.

Now, I would like to try to expand it to handle dynamic ranges.
Let's say that I would name a range TestRange by using the following:
=OFFSET(Ark1!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Ark1!$A:$A))

How can I do that in VBA?

Upvote 0
Why would you create it with VBA? It's a one off set-up not so?

Code:
ThisWorkbook.Names.Add "TestRange", "=OFFSET(Ark1!R1C1,0,0,COUNTA(Ark1!C1))"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a number of spreadsheets, which are used for user inputs in various areas.
The sheets contain a number of variables, som of which are used to populate data validation lists.
The variables are updated from a central data file, which (via VBA) opens the files and copies the data for the variables.

Some of the data validation lists are dependent lists, and I need a way to update the name of the subordinate lists, if the content of the "parent" list is changes.
I have tried with a simple macro which is executed opun canges in the sheet, but this only seems to work if the change is made manually (i.e. typed into the cell) - and not if the content is linked to an other sheet or updated via a macro.

So my idea is to build a macro, that can search for changes in the "parent" lists, and make the appropriate updates. And this thread is part of that.

Hope it makes sense. If you have any other suggestions as to how I can do it, I would - obviously - appreciate that a lot.

Cheers

Upvote 0
In the thread so far I have know exactly which cell or cells I needed to get the name from, and by using "strNAME = rngCELL.Name.Name" we pull this out.

Now, I want to be able to handle dynamic ranges, and - by definition - I do not know the cells which a given range covers. Is there a way to go about this?
I should mention, that I do know, that the only data in the column is the data that I need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back