Writing a macro that remembers scenarios and plots the numbers in a graph

MrGeek1

Hi all,

I'd like to have your help on how to build a macro that reads the different scenarios based on a data validation list. Can you provide me with any guidance in order to move forward? I've tried recording a macro but it does not read the change in the list when I click the drop down menu and a different scenario.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi MrGeek,
If I understand your question correctly, you have one cell that has a validation list. You change the value of that cell and your whole sheet/workbook calculates and gives a certain outcome? And you want a macro to change the value of that cell, calculate the whole workbook and copy-paste the answers of a certain output range to a e.g. table format? Do elaborate a bit and if you have that recorded code, please post it here too (in CODE brackets).
Thanks,
Koen

Upvote 0
Hi MrGeek,
If I understand your question correctly, you have one cell that has a validation list. You change the value of that cell and your whole sheet/workbook calculates and gives a certain outcome? And you want a macro to change the value of that cell, calculate the whole workbook and copy-paste the answers of a certain output range to a e.g. table format? Do elaborate a bit and if you have that recorded code, please post it here too (in CODE brackets).
Thanks,
Koen

Hi Rijnsent,
What you describe is correct. I don't have any code written for this, because I like to have some first guidelines before writing a code. Do you have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hi MrGeek,
as step 1 you could do a course, e.g. Free VBA Training Course or Excel VBA Programming - a free course for complete beginners so you have a foundation.
Step 2 you could try coming up with some pseudo code. Basically, describe the logic your program needs to follow e.g.:
VBA Code:
Sub CalculateScenarios()

'change value in sheet "Main", cell C5 to the next value in the list
'calculate workbook
'copy Worksheet "Outcome", range B5:B10 to Worksheet "Results", starting in C2, every time the column next to it.

End Sub
As step 3, do that step 2 and record the macro while you are doing it manually. The code that is generated really helps in writing the code you want to write.
Step 4: starting from the pseudo code in step 2, start writing real code with the help of stuff you recorded.
Step 4b: If you get stuck, post your code e.g. on this forum (in CODE brackets) and do describe you issue quite extensive, as others are pretty bad at mind-reading ;).
Hope that gets you started,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back