Writing data from Excel 2010 to Access 2010 password protected database

AlexCS

Board Regular
Hi everyone,

I am trying to transfer Excel data to a password protected Access 2010 database. So far I have the following code that works perfectly if the database is unprotected (minus the JET OLEDB Password part)

Code:
Dim MyConnXLS As String
Dim MyConnADODB As String
Dim MyConn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim MyRecordset As ADODB.Recordset
Dim MyTable As ADODB.Recordset
Dim MySQL As String

myworbook = ThisWorkbook.FullName
ThisWorkbook.Activate
MySheet = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(6).Name

MySQL = "SELECT * FROM [" & MySheet & "$A:M]" & " WHERE Number <> 0 "
MyConnXLS = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & myworbook & ";Extended Properties=""Excel 12.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1;Readonly=True"""

Set MyRecordset = New ADODB.Recordset
MyRecordset.Open MySQL, MyConnXLS, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
MyConnADODB = "Provider = Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;" & "Data Source =" & MyPath & "\FreightCosts.accdb" '& "Jet OLEDB:Database Password" = "Pass123"
Set MyTable = New ADODB.Recordset
MyTable.Open "ExtraCosts", MyConnADODB, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic

Do Until MyRecordset.EOF
MyTable.AddNew
MyTable!OrderNumber = MyRecordset!OrderNumber
MyTable.Update
MyRecordset.MoveNext
Loop

This code gets an error when trying to open the table, namely line MyTable.Open "ExtraCosts", MyConnADODB, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic.
Does anyone have any idea what can be done to work around this problem? The error is Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Alex

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
The syntax for your connection string is all out of whack - there are missing semi colons and iffy apostrophes:
Rich (BB code):
MyConnADODB = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & MyPath & "\FreightCosts.accdb";Jet OLEDB:Database Password=Pass123;"

As an aside, you shouldn't query the open workbook with ADO, it causes memory leaks. As far as I can see from your code above, it would be just as easy to loop through the range and add what ever you need

Upvote 0
Thanks Kyle, I was beginning to think my question was very difficult :). Unfortunately I tried all possible combinations and I usually get "Not a Valid Password" as an error message.
If I am not mistaken, I think the line you suggested was missing an apostrophe as well or had one too many. I ended up using the below lines but I will keep looking, there is surely a combination that I missed.

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]MyConnADODB = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & MyPath & "\FreightCosts.accdb" & ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password=Pass123;"[/COLOR]

or

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]MyConnADODB = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & MyPath & "\FreightCosts.accdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=Pass123;"
[/COLOR]

Cheers!
Alex

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back