XIRR and IRR riddle

kevwags

So I don't usually get stumped in excel but.. here's my question hopefully someone can solve in Excel 2010:

I have a set of cash flows that are regularly periodic (monthly) for 12 years stripped out of a financial model. The first two years are periodic investments that are negative cash flows which occur some months and not others (shown as zero values). Currently I am using an XIRR formula to get the return for the full 12 years of CF's. In a positive IRR situation it works fine. If I grab the first 3-4 years which should produce a negative IRR, the XIRR formula goes to 0%.

Okay, I've researched this issue and it requires you to put a formula in the "Guess" argument of the XIRR formula such as 0.1*SIGN(SUM(A1:A3)) where A1:A3 are the cashflows. As soon as I put in this type of formula my XIRR goes directly to #NUM error. I believe this means that after 100 iterations IRR did not find a solution. I have tested multiple negative guess numbers with no success and I know about the range of the negative IRR it should produce (-2% or something).

At this point I decided that because the CFs are periodic I'll switch this to a regular IRR formula and annualize it. When I plug in an IRR formula it returns 34% which is completely bogus and gets worse when you annualize it. Upon further inspection I realize that no matter what size selection I use for the regular IRR formula of 3+ years it has the same % return. Another obvious error.

Here are some other quirks about the data that might be helpful:
Unfortunately the first value of the data is -0.000001 to negate the issue with XIRR of having a positive first CF value. There are many zero values in between months that have CF values.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I really would appreciate the help. I have stripped out this issue into a separate excel file as an example but I'm not sure the best place to post it if someone wants to see the exact issue. Thanks again for the help!

Kevin

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
In case anyone cares I solved this myself. I think it's just a bug in excel.

The first nominal value I was using of -0.0001 to start the CF's with a negative value I changed to -5. Luckily my CF's are 100k or larger so the IRR will not be affected. This small change in combination with the SIGN guess logic described above fixed the problem....

I guess sometimes guess and check is the best way when you are dealing with an excel bug workaround.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back