XLOOKUP - Lookup Array Data in Multiple Columns

Ozzy23

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

Really struggling to get around the below problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I have 2 worksheets within my workbook and trying to create a XLOOKUP. See scenario below.

=XLOOKUP(WORKSHEET2(A2), WORKSHEET1(116 COLUMNS), WORKSHEET1(COLUMN A))

Worksheet 2 (A2)
= My LOOKUP value is in column A of worksheet 2

Worksheet 1 (116 COLUMN) = My LOOKUP ARRAY is on worksheet 1 and is 116 columns of data. This is where I am struggling as XLOOKUP gives an error as I am assuming it cannot search across columns?

Worksheet 1 (COLUMN A) = The RETURN ARRAY is column A of Worksheet 1 and the value will be populated into my cell in Worksheet 2

Any solutions on how to tackle this would be appreciated :) if any additional info is required let me know!

I mean if there are multiple matches, what output do you expect? Multiple rows/columns, a delimited list, or something else?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I mean if there are multiple matches, what output do you expect? Multiple rows/columns, a delimited list, or something else?
If there's multiple matches of my lookup value, if possible the return values should be side by side in separate columns.

Upvote 0
116 is B to DM, so how about
Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP(A2,TOCOL(Sheet1!$B$2:$DM$100),TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,116),Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100)))
This assumes the lookup values only occurs once in the data.
Thank you will give this a try for another value that I know only has one instance :) will let you know if it worked for me.

Upvote 0
You could use something like:

Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(FILTER(Sheet2!A1:A100,BYROW(Sheet2!B1:BY100,LAMBDA(r,COUNTIF(r,A2)>0))))

Upvote 0
You could use something like:

Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(FILTER(Sheet2!A1:A100,BYROW(Sheet2!B1:BY100,LAMBDA(r,COUNTIF(r,A2)>0))))
Thanks Rory!! I think this has worked but just to ask if the value is found more than once would it create a new column and input this side by side or would I need to create empty columns first?

Upvote 0
There will need to be empty columns there already, or you'll get a #SPILL error

Upvote 0
There will need to be empty columns there already, or you'll get a #SPILL error
The value appears twice for one of the examples. So I've created a few extra columns. Cleared the column of my query and entered the formula again. I still get the spill error and it hasn't populated the columns I've created. Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
If you're doing it in a table, it won't work. Dynamic array formulas can't spill in tables.

Upvote 0
If you're doing it in a table, it won't work. Dynamic array formulas can't spill in tables.
Ah ok so in this situation should I remove the table format, run the formula to populate the columns and then I can reapply the table formatting? Appreciate the help so much, learnt something new :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back