Xlookup not working for all list items

Novice Excel User

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Why is this formula recognizing some of the items entered into C8 in the spreadsheet (AD102698), to return the data I'm looking for but not all?
Formula: =XLOOKUP(C8&" ",'AD102698'!$A$5:$A$3533,'AD102698'!$M$5:$M$3533,0,0,1)
Two worksheets: Calculator, where the formula is going and AD102698 where the data table is stored.
C8 of the Calculator worksheet is a manually entered field to enter a unique code into, which could be made up of a combo of numbers and text (examples: 61507, 08OAD, C08OAD, 6A011, EL004, 03CCB, 03CCBO).
Of the code examples, the formula provided above will return the information I need for the following codes: 61507, 08OAD, 6A011, EL004, 03CCB. It will not return the data for these codes: C08OAD, 03CCBO.

There are thousands of codes in the table and I need to make sure that the formula in D8 of the Calculator worksheet will recognize the job code entered into C8 in the Calculator worksheet, in column A of the the AD102698 worksheet, will look across the data in that row to return the information in column M of that same row, back to D8 of the Calculator worksheet.

The above noted formula seems to work for more of the codes but noticing there are lots that are not being recognized, despite typing them correctly or copy/pasting from AD102698 to C8 of the Calculator worksheet.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
@Novice Excel User
The C8&" " element of your formula seems bit odd to me.
If you are dealing with data that might have leading or trailing spaces then maybe try ....

Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP(C8,TRIM('AD102698'!$A$5:$A$3533),'AD102698'!$M$5:$M$3533,0,0,1)

HTH

Upvote 0
Solution
@Novice Excel User
The C8&" " element of your formula seems bit odd to me.
If you are dealing with data that might have leading or trailing spaces then maybe try ....

Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP(C8,TRIM('AD102698'!$A$5:$A$3533),'AD102698'!$M$5:$M$3533,0,0,1)

HTH
Thank you, Snakehips! That seems to have fixed my problem....and without having to provide an extract no less. I thought my details were pretty thorough; enough to not have to provide an extract as the information in the document I'm working on is confidential and cannot be shared. So I do apologies if my information seems vague but the skilled folks on here have been awesome and helping me out regardless.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammokhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back