xlookup using two return array columns

BeadyBob

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
Is it possible to do an xlookup using two return array columns? Or, if there is a better solution please let me know.

For my spreadsheet, I have two tabs. I am doing an xlookup on the first tab to find a project number on the second tab, then I want to pull the milestone date from column G (actual date) unless it is blank, then I want it to pull the date from column H (projected date). FYI, sometimes both columns are blank.

Here is my formula, which is lacking sophistication since it's not working. When G has a value, it returns false instead of a date. When H has a value the formula returns the date.
=IF(XLOOKUP([@Project],Export!$A$2:$A$100,Export!$G$2:$G$100)=0,XLOOKUP([@Project],Export!$A$2:$A$100,Export!$H$2:$H$100))

Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Thank you for the tip, I just updated. I'm on 365.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, could you move the formula outside of the table? That way you could use
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,XLOOKUP([@Project],Export!$A$2:$A$100,Export!$G$2:$H$100),IF(INDEX(x,,1)=0,"",x))
(Changing the [@Project] to a cell reference) & that way it will spill across.

Upvote 0
I really appreciate the suggestion. It seems to work great when there is a date found in column G, but if G is blank it isn't pulling the date in H, it instead shows blank.
I converted the table back to a range, pasted the formula, and changed [@Project] to the cell reference. The result is good if a date is found in column G, but when G is blank it is not returning the date found in column H. If you have any suggestions to resolve, or can tell that I have done something incorrect please let me know. Very grateful for the help!

Upvote 0
Will either G or H have a date, or could they both be blank?

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=LET(x,XLOOKUP([@Project],Export!$A$2:$A$100,Export!$G$2:$H$100,0),IF(INDEX(x,,1)<>"",INDEX(x,,1),IF(INDEX(x,,2)<>"",INDEX(x,,2),"")))

Upvote 1
Solution
There it is! Thank you so much, that works perfectly. You've saved me so much time, I truly appreciate it!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back