XMATCH compare using unknown text

Dmherl76

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to excel although I understand the basic functions and have done a few things with IF etc.
I am trying to do something a little bit more complex (well for me anyway!)
I have one excel doc that carries various data - the doc carries two tabs/sheets in these tabs there are two columns in either I want to compare with each other.
The problem comes in here --> I want to be able to find the common denominator between the text input in the cells in the two separate tab columns, however the rule I want to run needs to look at both columns, search for any text that is the same (eg From hell) , the text is often but not always formatted the same way, sometimes it could say [from hell] or [from-hell] etc..
So the rule cannot be dependent on a search time, it needs to be dependent on just finding the same text value, once it has done that it will then need to action another cell in one tab which in turn actions several other cells in a different tab to a certain value.
The above in bold I have done and also created dropdown list for it as below:

1.JPG

Say for example
Sheet1/Tab 1
Column B
Blue_Planet_Ep1

Sheet2/Tab 2
Column B
Blue_Planet_Ep1
Blue_Planet_Ep1
Blue_Planet_Ep1

Without knowing the name Blue Planet I need the formula to run, search and match anything that has the same text between the sheets, I thought it would be something like this:

=IF(ISNA(XMATCH(B:B,'PRIORITY TEMP'!B:B, IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N5="PASS","PROCEED TO QC",IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N5="TOTAL FAIL","FAILED BC QC - STOP/FLAG/FIX",IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N5="PARTIAL FAIL","SEE CS/PARTIAL FAIL ON BC"))))))

B:B is column B in Sheet2/Tab2 (this is tab where formula is written)
Priority Temp is Sheet1/Tab 1
The PASS, TOTAL FAIL, PARTIAL FAIL are dropdown values in column L in the PRIORITY TEMP sheet
Depending on PASS,TOTAL FAIL, PARTIAL FAIL text values in Sheet2/Tab2 will populate column L with values related as per below:
PASS --> PROCEED TO QC
TOTAL FAIL --> FAILED BC QC - STOP/FLAG/FIX
PARTIAL FAIL --> SEE CS/PARTIAL FAIL ON BC
These text values were written as below:

=IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N3="PASS","PROCEED TO QC",IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N3="TOTAL FAIL","FAILED BC QC - STOP/FLAG/FIX",IF('PRIORITY TEMP'!N3="PARTIAL FAIL","SEE CS/PARTIAL FAIL ON BC")))

Question again is, how do I do the search/compare and then assign those values to the last string?

Much fun to be had by a noob!!!

Cheers all..

Daniel

Attachments

• 1_1.jpg
    1_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back