YEAR Function Returning #VALUE error

Craig Peter DG

Office Version
  1. 2013
Hi, have come to the board because I cant find a solution anywhere else.

Having probs with a YEAR function, keeps returning #VALUE error even though the cell is referencing a Date formatted cell. The date formatted cell is in United States date format, thus 12/15/2020 (15 December 2020). The date cell is itself a formula extracted from another sheet within the workbook and i have triple checked that the date returned here is correctly formatted as a date. However, i now want to extract the YEAR from that date in the adjacent column but i keep getting a VALUE error. Solutions please? Here is a snapshot of my excel table.

VAERS ID#ID Source this WbookDate Reported to VAERSYEAR
902440​
2020CV19EventsPHARMA12/15/2020#VALUE!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi,

You may have formatted the cell as Date; however the cell value may Still be Text, double check by using
=ISNUMBER(cell with the date)

If it's FALSE, since the date cell value is populated by formula, check your formula and/or post it.

Upvote 0
What is your formula that extracts the date from another sheet?

It the result of that extract formula returns a text-date, then try this tor get the year.

=YEAR(DATEVALUE(C2))

Upvote 0

It the result of that extract formula returns a text-date, then try this tor get the year.

=YEAR(DATEVALUE(C2))
Thanks Alpha. So I acquire the date first, by using a VLOOKUP to reference another worksheet in the same workbook, =VLOOKUP(A6,'2020AllEventsGENERAL'!A:AI,2,FALSE).
In the example below, A6 is the number 902440. So I look that up using VLOOKUP. The result gives me Date Reported to VAERS result 12/15/2020 (United States Format). I make sure that the Date Reported to VAERS column is correctly formatted as Date. Then I try and use the YEAR formula (far right column below) and that formula references the Date Reported to VAERS date to attempt to give me the year, but i get VALUE error. Hope this helps. Thanks

VAERS ID#ID Source this WbookDate Reported to VAERSYear (formula)
902440​
902446​
902464​

Upvote 0
Hi,

You may have formatted the cell as Date; however the cell value may Still be Text, double check by using

If it's FALSE, since the date cell value is populated by formula, check your formula and/or post it.
Thanks Alpha. So I acquire the date first, by using a VLOOKUP to reference another worksheet in the same workbook, =VLOOKUP(A6,'2020AllEventsGENERAL'!A:AI,2,FALSE).
In the example below, A6 is the number 902440. So I look that up using VLOOKUP. The result gives me Date Reported to VAERS result 12/15/2020 (United States Format). I make sure that the Date Reported to VAERS column is correctly formatted as Date. Then I try and use the YEAR formula (far right column below) and that formula references the Date Reported to VAERS date to attempt to give me the year, but i get VALUE error. Hope this helps. Thanks

902440​
902446​
902464​
Here is a snapshot of the errors and now with the FALSE IS NUMBER result................................
1612413790605.png

Upvote 0
Hi,

Hi jtakw, I get a FALSE answer when I use the ISNUMBER formula against the reference date?????????

1612413915616.png

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have tried several suggestions folks, still coming up with VALUE ERROR for the Year.
1612414736929.png

Upvote 0

=YEAR(DATEVALUE(C2))
I have tried several suggestions folks, still coming up with VALUE ERROR for the Year.
1612414736929.png

Upvote 0

902440​
902446​
902464​
1612414736929.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back