Year to Date Formula for an expense report

mistywidel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an expense report that has my Actual - Budgeted - Variance + YTD actual - YTD budgeted and YTD variance. my months are in separate sheets and I need the YTD amounts to tally up into the following month.... can you help me with this

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the forum. Really!

Ok, so I don't normally respond to first posts. ... and your question is so opened ended, it's practically a project. :)

You'll need to break that down into bite size pieces. Describe the format of each month sheet; same for all? Is the YTD Budget sheet the same format as the month sheets? You want your YTD values to tally into the next month; for instance Jan-Feb total into March?

For me, I don't spend time putting actual costs into different months. I have one database with all the years' expenses. Then I create formulas to sum the values into one sheet. Sumifs do wonders for this. Then there is no need to split the costs over many sheets. You can summarize your monthly costs into different tables on the same sheet if you want. Or you could simply have ruling date cell where the formulas look to tally YTD figures.

Upvote 0
excel 1.jpg
excel.jpg
clip_image001.jpg

Upvote 0
This is a simple formula to sum the values across a range of sheets:
=SUM('Months Beg:Months End'!B4)
1581438061430.png

Any sheets that you want included in the SUM formula needs to be between the Months Beg and Months End sheets. Those sheets are usually blank for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back