Zip Code entry

dave8

I have an input form which contains Name, Address, City, State, Zipcode. Is it possible when the user types in a Zipcode to automatically populate the City and State? Where can I get a list of ZipCodes? My thinking is that I will have a list of zipcodes in one column and associate the City and State in the corresponding column. Then use vLookup to find the Zipcode. Does anyone know where I can obtains a zipcode list?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

poolhall

you know that there are about 42 000 zip codes in the USA, don't you?

dave8

I know there's a lot of Zipcodes. I didn't know there were over 42000. I think Excel can handle that.

shemayisroel

ADVERTISEMENT

I know there's a lot of Zipcodes. I didn't know there were over 42000. I think Excel can handle that.
Depends what your doing with it however I'd say you'll be fine.

Ruddles

You can always split them into two or more smaller tables if you find the lookups taking too long - ten separate tables even, and select your table depending on the first digit of the zip. We have over 1.6 million postcodes in the UK!

sulakvea

hi, i just found this:

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/07032/zip-code-07032.asp

the good thing about this link is that you can change the zip code manually in the URL - and it displays correct location (i tested a dozen and it did).

so you can use a web query to pull the data (build a URL with variable zip code in it). something like

Code:
TmpUrl = "http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/" & TmpZip & "/zip-code-" & TmpZip & ".asp"

TmpZip can be a value in the cell, or textbox, etc.

this way you wont have to search for the list of all zipcodes

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmfacc

This Week's Hot Topics