Minimizing Daily Course Schedule Conflicts

tthiele

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have a spreadsheet with a list of student names signed up for various courses, similar to what follows (although much, much larger, with more students and more courses):

Anna Underwater Basketweaving
Bob Underwater Basketweaving
Carl Underwater Basketweaving
Dan Underwater Basketweaving
Evan Underwater Basketweaving
Carl Yoga
Dan Yoga
Fred Yoga
Ginny Yoga
Harriet Yoga
Anna Intro to Econ
Dan Intro to Econ
Tom Intro to Econ

What I would like to be able to do is use Excel to assign a class period (from 1 to 7) to each of the courses (Underwater Basketweaving, Yoga, Intro to Econ) in a third column, and then count how many "conflicts" arise where a particular student has more than one class in a given period. The spreadsheet would ideally keep assigning class periods for all 7^n possible period combinations (where n is the number of unique courses in my list) and keep track of the optimal period arrangement, and then spit out the actual conflicts at the end.

Even if assistance provided on this forum can only help me do part of what I seek, that will be better than what I have to do currently which is "guess" at what periods will work best, assign them, and then manually count conflicts.

Thanks,

Troy

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi Troy,

If you are assigning the periods manually, a COUNTIFS formula could be used to identify rows in which the combination of Name + Period occurs greater than 1 time.

To automate the assignment of periods using VBA, I would think you have some additional constraints to consider, such as maximum/minimums class sizes and whether all courses are available for all 7 periods.

With those constraints, an application that assigns classes with an optimization goal in mind is feasible- but not simple.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back