call macro from a different document

smakatura

Board Regular
I am creating a macro in New Outage OSP reporttemplate.xlsm. During this macro,I open document OSP Staffing All Voice.xlsm. the macro being created is New_Outage_macro.

OSP Staffing All Voice.xlsmhas a macro already on it called Private Sub cmdcalculate_Click().

I want to call the cmdcalculate_click macro in New_Outage_macro.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi,
You cannot call a macro from another module or workbook while its Private sub. It's a private sub because it's a button sub, isn't it? Do the following:
1. In the workbook OPS Staffing, insert a module, create there a sub CmdCalculate (), and paste there the code you have in
Private Sub cmdcalculate_Click()
2. In Private Sub cmdcalculate_Click() remove the code you have and place instead call CmdCalculate
3. In another workbook, the one in which you want to call a macro from workbook OPS Staffing call the CmdCalculate macro the following way:
Application.Run "'OSP Staffing All Voice.xlsm'!CmdCalculate"

Regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0
my only trouble is that there is a chance that someone might overwrite osp staffing with a different document of the same name that would not have my new macro sub cmdcalculate().

but glad you mentioned that the private subs don't wo

Upvote 0
The macro cmdcalculate_Click() that you currently have is in osp staffing workbook so you can get a rid if it if someone overwrites this document with another under the same name. To stave off this problem I recomment you move from that workbook to New outage osp or make a copy the macro and paste it to the new outage osp. You can call a private sub only within a partucular module/object(ex form) - outside those it's not available to make a call off.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back