How do I make a 3d Column graph using stacked bars?

weeblesue

I would like to make a 3d column graph using stacked bars, but cannot find any help on how to do that.

Any takers?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
3D Stacked bar

Select area of data you want to graph. Go to Insert menu, choose chart. This will bring up the Chart Wizard Step 1 of 4 - Chart type. the default setting is a clustered column.
Choose the middle choice on the second row, called "stacked column with a 3-D Visual effect, click next
Choose all other choices on the wizard as you'd normally do.

Philip

Upvote 0
thanks, but not quite!!!

I know how to make a 3D stacked graph. That is not what I need to do.

When clicking on the Chart Wizard page, if you look at the bottom left choice, the 3-D "Column" that compares values across categories and across series -

THIS is the one I need to use with a stacked column.

That is what I cannot figure out how to do.

thanks,
Susan

Upvote 0
Clustered Column

That is a Clustered Column, as opposed to a stacked column. What you want is a Clustered-Stacked Column.

This is not really feasible, because you would not be able to see the bottom option of the stacked column in the second row to compare it to the value in the front row if the front row were taller.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
(I'll rephrase a post I made five minutes ago in another thread...)

People seem to think that 3D charts can show anything, but usually they are worse than 2D charts with multiple series (especially Excel's 3D charts, ugh).

It helps to think of what to plot, and how it might be laid out, before you enter the data and spend lots of time making unsatisfactory charts. Think of what you want your data to show, and how to show it most clearly. 3D charts with their oblique perspective are poor at showing all but the most blatant relationships. If you stick with 2D charts, use a clustered column approach, or if you need clustered-stacked, try one of the links on this page:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Upvote 0
People still ask about stacked 3D column charts. John Walkenbach shows in his Excel Charts book (chapter 8, page 294) how to fudge this kind of chart from multiple stacked column charts with 3D effects. You have to overlay the multiple charts, hide their walls, plot areas, and chart areas, and hide all but the front chart's value axis. Then you tweak and tweak the positions of the charts until they line up reasonably well.

I've used this tchnique, and it's a PITA. To me, it does not show the data as clearly as a well constructed stacked 2D or stacked clustered column chart.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap N

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back