Varying colour of data points
Eliminate Pivot Table Annoyances
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Varying colour of data points

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

     
    Is there any way of having the first and last data point in a series showing up as a different colour automatically? I can manually change them when the chart has been made but would prefer if this happened automatically when data was entered into particular cells.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi,
    I think you can do this.
    Modify the chart to suit your requirements. Select the chart, (right click), chart type, customs types, user defined. The Add button will be enabled. Click on this and type any name & description for the "new type" of chart. You can set this as the default chart for all future use.



    _________________


    [ This Message was edited by: srinivas14 on 2002-03-13 04:42 ]

  3. #3
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas USA
    Posts
    11,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-13 04:38, srinivas14 wrote:
    Hi,
    I think you can do this.
    Modify the chart to suit your requirements. Select the chart, (right click), chart type, customs types, user defined. The Add button will be enabled. Click on this and type any name & description for the "new type" of chart. You can set this as the default chart for all future use.



    _________________


    [ This Message was edited by: srinivas14 on 2002-03-13 04:42 ]
    Unfortunately, the concept of "first and last" as it pertains to data points isn't preserved by a user-defined custom format. If this format is saved for a chart with 5 data points and then applied to a chart with 6 the "first and the next to the last" markers are formatted. If fewer data points are involved only the "first" marker conforms.

    [ This Message was edited by: Mark W. on 2002-03-13 13:39 ]

  4. #4
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas USA
    Posts
    11,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fiona, I thought of a work around while at lunch using the following data in cells A1:B7...

    {"X","Endpoints"
    ;1,1
    ;2,#N/A
    ;3,#N/A
    ;4,#N/A
    ;5,#N/A
    ;6,6}

    ...The Endpoints formula is...

    {=IF(OR(ROW()=MAX(ROW($A$2:$A$7)),ROW()=MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$7))),A2,#N/A)}

    ...when entered into cell B2 and copied down to B7.

    Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.

    This data can be charted as a Line chart with 2 series. Set the line attribute for the 2nd series (Endpoints) to None and format its markers as desired.

    [ This Message was edited by: Mark W. on 2002-03-13 11:18 ]

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-13 11:17, Mark W. wrote:
    Fiona, I thought of a work around while at lunch using the following data in cells A1:B7...

    {"X","Endpoints"
    ;1,1
    ;2,#N/A
    ;3,#N/A
    ;4,#N/A
    ;5,#N/A
    ;6,6}

    ...The Endpoints formula is...

    {=IF(OR(ROW()=MAX(ROW($A$2:$A$7)),ROW()=MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$7))),A2,#N/A)}

    ...when entered into cell B2 and copied down to B7.

    Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.

    This data can be charted as a Line chart with 2 series. Set the line attribute for the 2nd series (Endpoints) to None and format its markers as desired.

    [ This Message was edited by: Mark W. on 2002-03-13 11:18 ]
    Thanks for your help Mark. I am a bit unsure which cell this formula should go in? I work on a Mac which may make the command slightly different to ctrl+shift+enter?



  6. #6
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas USA
    Posts
    11,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

      
    On 2002-03-17 18:20, Fiona wrote:
    On 2002-03-13 11:17, Mark W. wrote:
    Fiona, I thought of a work around while at lunch using the following data in cells A1:B7...

    {"X","Endpoints"
    ;1,1
    ;2,#N/A
    ;3,#N/A
    ;4,#N/A
    ;5,#N/A
    ;6,6}

    ...The Endpoints formula is...

    {=IF(OR(ROW()=MAX(ROW($A$2:$A$7)),ROW()=MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$7))),A2,#N/A)}

    ...when entered into cell B2 and copied down to B7.

    Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula.

    This data can be charted as a Line chart with 2 series. Set the line attribute for the 2nd series (Endpoints) to None and format its markers as desired.

    [ This Message was edited by: Mark W. on 2002-03-13 11:18 ]
    Thanks for your help Mark. I am a bit unsure which cell this formula should go in? I work on a Mac which may make the command slightly different to ctrl+shift+enter?
    ...The Endpoints formula is...

    {=IF(OR(ROW()=MAX(ROW($A$2:$A$7)),ROW()=MIN(ROW($A$2:$A$7))),A2,#N/A)}

    ...when entered into cell B2 and copied down to B7.

    On a Macintosh an array formula can be entered by using Control+Shift+Enter or Command+Enter. See the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

 
DMCA.com