stdole2.tlb is missing or damaged

TinaP

:rolleyes:
I just had to replace a hard drive for one of our users and consequently reinstall MSOffice. Afterwards, when opening Excel, users get the message "One of your object libraries (stdole2.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please run Setup to install it." Administrators can access Excel with no problem. I can search for and find stdole2.tld on the hard drive. I changed the rights for users to allow modify rights, however, the error still remains. I don't get the message with any other Office applications.
:oops:

The PC is running Windows XP, sp2 and Office 2003 Small Business Edition. I cannot find any help on Microsoft's web site (at least referring to XP and Office 2003) and I'm praying that the gurus at Mr. Excel can help me.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
A couple of things to try.

1. File can be corrupted. Replace it.
2. Compare the date/size of the file with machines having no trouble. If different replace or put a copy in the same folder as Excel.exe (windows checks there first)
3. file is usually in \windows\system32\ folder. If it is there, try putting a copy in the same folder as excel.exe
4. Try re-registering the file.
Start/Run and type unregsvr32 (path to file)\stdole2.tlb - Enter
Start/Run and type regsvr32 (path to file)\stdole2.tlb - Enter
should get confirmation messages.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response, Brian. I'll have to wait until Monday to give everything a try, though. The user was without a computer for a day and she's trying to get caught up on her work. She said she'll do without Excel for a day to get everything else caught up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back