selecting multiple columns, copy to new sheet VBA code ?

RompStar

Hi there....

I have a raw report that I get, it's headers are always the same, but the order of the columns might not be the same everytime and the number of rows also could be different.

Anyways, I know what headers of the columns of interest that I want, I would like to copy the multiple columns and then paste them into a new sheet, please keep in mind that the columns are multiple and might not be next to each others, so:

Let's say that I have a sheet with Columns A through W

but I might only want 5 columns, A, C, R, P, W - just as as example:

The header name are always the same, say:

A - First Name
C - Last Name
R - Suffix
P - Home Phone
W - Spend Rank

I noticed that I could select multiple columns by using the Ctrl + and clicking on the columns, but I couldn't copy them or nothing, it wasn't allowed.

Please let me know how I can do this in VBA! that would be a great starting point for me, then I will need to learn how to place the columns in the order that I want and do some other things on them.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
'I noticed that I could select multiple columns by using the Ctrl + and clicking on the columns, but I couldn't copy them or nothing, it wasn't allowed. '

You should be able to do this, just make sure you're in row 1 when pasting

Upvote 0
RompStar

See if the code below is some use. Note, if you put the column headings in the line:
myColumns = Array(...
in the order you want them in the final sheet, you won't have to re-order them at the end.

Also, I named my original sheet with all the data as "Original" and the sheet being copied to as "Final". You will need to amend the code to reflect your sheet names.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> MoveColumns()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsO <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsF <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>

Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsO = Worksheets("Original")
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsF = Worksheets("Final")
    myColumns = Array("Spend Rank", "Last Name", "First Name", "Suffix", "Home Phone")
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wsO.Range("A1:W1")
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(myColumns)
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
            .Find(myColumns(i)).EntireColumn.Copy Destination:=wsF.Cells(1, i + 1)
            Err.Clear
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsO = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsF = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN>
    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

The result for me was turning this...

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1First NameLast NameTitleHome PhoneSuffixAgeSpend Rank
2FredSmithMrJr325
3JonesAnnMrs12345678282
Original

... into this...

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Spend RankLast NameFirst NameSuffixHome Phone
25SmithFredJr
32AnnJones12345678
Final

Upvote 0
Peter
That is a really neat way of dealing with Rompstar's problem. I am learning so much about Excel and in particular VBA from participating in this forum.
Thanks
Michael

Upvote 0
:biggrin:

Yay, I love this Forumn, it's so helpful, I will definately try all the help, thanks for taking the time to think it and in responding.

Rompstar will have a cold one on for you at the Pub after work, Cheers!!!

Upvote 0
Got a question:

Set wsO = Worksheets("data")
Set wsF = Worksheets("Sheet1")

So that I don't have to type in the name of the sheet with the data, I changed it a little bit:

Set wsO = ActiveSheet

But, how do I create a new sheet for the data that will be moved into ? so that I don't have to create it and keep track of it's name ?

Upvote 0
Acctually I kinda solved this and then not. When I place this code into a sheet, it works, but when I place it into my personals folder in the Modules it don't work, why ? All that I changed was the top part...

Sub MoveColumns()
Dim wsO As Worksheet
Dim wsF As Worksheet
Dim i As Integer
Dim sheetName As String

sheetName = InputBox("Please enter the name of the new Sheet which will contain your Phone List", "Sheet Name")
Sheets.Add.Name = sheetName

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set wsO = ActiveSheet
Set wsF = Sheets(sheetName)

The VBE runs fine, but the new sheet in empty, it contains no information at all. When I use this same code in the Sheet of the document, it works just fine and transferes all the information.... Any ideas ?

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
I think your code is unclear about what the ActiveSheet is. Use Peter's approach and specify the Original sheet. I made this one change and got it to work from a Module.
Michael

Upvote 0
I am unable to copy only the filtered data for the first columns. Rest of the columns filtered data is being as per the criteria.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back