keith

Board Regular
Example Data:
Date Column | Item1 Col | Item2 Col
2002/03/23 | 2 | 5
2002/03/25 | 5 | 6
2002/03/23 | 2 | 5
many more rows of similar...

Example Problem: - I need to count the number of times a "2" is listed in the "item 1" column when the date in "date column" is "2002/03/23" for the same row etc.. (2 would be above result)

I am pretty sure this is beyond simple COUNTIF and I can't seem to make DCOUNT work either. A DCOUNTIF would be perfect but it doesn't exist that I am aware of.. VBA maybe? or maybe I am missing something on COUNTIF or DCOUNT? - Please help - thanks in advance..

must have been syntax.. Or I think I may have overlaped columns or something by mistake.. works now.. thanks..

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
On 2002-03-24 11:05, keith wrote:
well it seems to work (I hope its not just working for some wierd coincidence).. my end goal is to count everytime a "2" shows up in ANY ITEM COLUMN where a specific date is met in the DATA COLUMN. Keep in mind I am not counting rows but cells that contain "2". So if the date matches and ITEM 1=2 and ITEM2=2 then the formula result should be "2". If item1=1 and item2=2 the result should be "1" and vice versa.. Am I all messed up?

Hey Keith and Aladin:
Looks like we are really beating at it. Keith I am not trying to convince you to use the DCOUNT function but it does work.Here I have used the data used in Aladin's example with the criteria being that Date is 37338 and Item1=2 tocount the number of items meeting the criteria in item1 column, and then use the DCOUNT function again with the criteria that Date is 37338 and item2=2 ...
so here is what we will get

=DCOUNT(A1:C4,"item1",F1:G2)+DCOUNT(A1:C4,"Item2",H1:I2)
resulting in 3

T H A N K S ! for keeping this discussion alive.

Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-24 15:20, Yogi Anand wrote:
On 2002-03-24 11:05, keith wrote:
well it seems to work (I hope its not just working for some wierd coincidence).. my end goal is to count everytime a "2" shows up in ANY ITEM COLUMN where a specific date is met in the DATA COLUMN. Keep in mind I am not counting rows but cells that contain "2". So if the date matches and ITEM 1=2 and ITEM2=2 then the formula result should be "2". If item1=1 and item2=2 the result should be "1" and vice versa.. Am I all messed up?

Hey Keith and Aladin:
Looks like we are really beating at it. Keith I am not trying to convince you to use the DCOUNT function but it does work.Here I have used the data used in Aladin's example with the criteria being that Date is 37338 and Item1=2 tocount the number of items meeting the criteria in item1 column, and then use the DCOUNT function again with the criteria that Date is 37338 and item2=2 ...
so here is what we will get

=DCOUNT(A1:C4,"item1",F1:G2)+DCOUNT(A1:C4,"Item2",H1:I2)
resulting in 3

T H A N K S ! for keeping this discussion alive.

Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there.

What Keith does is

=SUMPRODUCT((date-range=a-date-crit)*(complete-items-range=num-crit))

where

date-range can be, say, A2:A600 and

complete-items-range can be B2:Z600 or beyond column Z which is tested for meeting a single num crit, e.g., 2.

That would make lots +DCOUNT...+DCOUNT... unless there is some short-cut to express what he succeeded to express in a single SUMPRODUCT formula. See his exchange with me.

Aladin

Upvote 0
I am not tryting to avoid DCOUNT. The DCOUNT Function does work but it requires a formula with "DCOUNT()+DCOUNT()+DCOUNT()+DCOUNT()+DCOUNT() for all my different items (there are many) whereas with the SUMPRODUCT I can use a small formula like "=SUMPRODUCT((data!A2:A3=E2)*(data!B2:AT35=F2))".. In addition my criteia is 2 cells TOTAL verses a critera of a 2 cells minimum for every DCOUNT.. follow me? It all seems to work now - Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back