Thread: Is OzGrid the same as MrExcel?

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is OzGrid the same as MrExcel?

Somebody keeps whining about cross-posting, the citation is always the other board.

What's up with that?

If you guys want to ask the same question of two different forums, this forum is available:
    http://pub13.ezboard.com/fvisualbasi...pplicationsvba

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with cross posting is this: you may post an interesting query, which I might spend some serious time trying to solve for you. At the same time, someone else somewhere else is doing the same thing. It results in either a waste of my time, or theirs. Post to one board; if not satisfied, then go to another (and perhaps close your original thread as you go.)

And, no, Oz and MrExcel are not the same, except in intent.
    just_jon
    Book of the Month: I'm Not Really an MVP, I Just Play One on TV [j. jon, 2004]

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have enough confidence in my skills to allow somebody else to compete with me.

If they have a superior technique, I want to learn from that person.

If they have the same technique, that is good to know, also.

Sounds like an ego problem, more than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, you have misunderstood me. It isn't about competition, nor ego. It is about helping the most people possible given a finite amount of time. By definition, duplication of effort defeats that purpose.
    just_jon

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you would only agree to be an exclusive consultant? How many companies would be scared away by someone who says "Don't ask anyone else, I know it all."?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for myself, I don't see anything wrong in cross-posting. I have this cute little organdy chiffon strapless dress......ooops! - that was cross-posting, wasn't it?
    Barry-

Photo Restoration/Enhancement

http://www.smiledogproductions.com
    click below for detour

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exclusive consultant?
    Do you consult for free, Steve?

Tom

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TsTom
    exclusive consultant?
    Do you consult for free, Steve?

Tom
    Kind of what any of us does, when we respond to a thread, isn't it?

The point I was trying to make is I don't mind answering a question posted on multiple boards. Excel - Excel VBA is a pretty broad subject. I don't expect everyone to have the identical solution to a problem, and I am happy to see various proposals. If offense is taken to "duplicate" posts across different boards, that sounds like an ego problem.

Many years ago, I was talked into attending a multi-level marketing presentation. For some reason, one topic was dealing with stress. The proposed remedy? "We have no right to expect anything." So many times we hear "I have a right to be mad about......". Which is a great way to stress yourself.

If somebody posts the same issue on multiple boards, what "right" do I have to be offended? Humility is a great way to avoid stress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebausch
    I take it you would only agree to be an exclusive consultant? How many companies would be scared away by someone who says "Don't ask anyone else, I know it all."?
    Steve -

First, this question *should* have been posted to the Questions About this Board forum, not this one. Second, I am not a consultant in any sense of the word, but merely a volunteer. Third, I respond to posts from individuals, some of whom may or may not work for companies.

In closing, because I do not think I will return to this thread, I suggest you re-read my prior posts. In neither did I refer to exclusivity; I only pointed out that, with a finite amount of time to be donated duplication of effort was not a great idea.
    just_jon

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stevebausch :
    I too put considerable "volunteer" time in attempting to help people on this board. In fact I sometimes work hours on a solution for someone. Due to limited time and resources I would prefer to help those that have a real need and interest in the solutions, I'm attempting to provide.

I respect your freedom to post in as many places as you want , hopefully you will learn much.
    I also hope you will respect my wishes to avoid spending time on attempting to help you in any of your posts. This is nothing personal , I would just rather spend my finite resources helping OP's that have a sincere need .

HOWEVER : On a more personal note I would like to say I don't appreciate your lack of understanding for my fellow "volunteers" on this board. I resent your un-informed assumptions of their motives and personalities. They do not deserve your attitude . Good-night Sir
    <MARQUEE>...........Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic...............The easiest thing to find is fault, don't be easy !.. --Anonymous--...</marquee>

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others