Personal.xlsb file not loading while Starting Excel

chrisham7276

Hi,

I am a power excel user, but on of my PC, my Personal.xlsb file does not load, and my attempts to start a macro recording to initiate this, too fails. I get a message preventing me to begin the macro recording.
Any hel will be highly appreciated.

Chrisham

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi & Welcome to the Board!

If you go Office button>Excel Options>Add-Ins and look thru the list of add-ins there is a Disabled Items section at the bottom. Is your Personal.xlsb listed there? If so, you can reenable by using the Manage dropdown on the same page.

Upvote 0
Richard,
Thanks for your response. Currently I am working on my office PC that is working fine, in that I am able to access the Personal Macro. But following the procedure outlined by you, I do see a mention of the Personal.xlsb file in the active section of the Add-in areas. (And neither is it there in the inactive section.
I am following your procedure correctly? Or is it some different solution to it here?

BTW, what is the board html maker?

Chrisham

Upvote 0
If you click on the Manage dropdown and select Disabled Items and then Go, do you see anything listed there?

The board html maker is an Excel add-in that can be used to generate html to display your Excel data in a message. If you want to try it out, please drop me your email address in a PM :)

Upvote 0
Hi all

I am getting the same problem, but with different circumstances. I have installed 2007 side by side with 2002 (yes, I know, I am a dinosaur).

I was converting a file from 2003 to 2007. I saved the file in 2007 format, then opened the new file in 2007 and on another screen opened the old file in 2002.

Since then, if I open one instance of 2007, I get the "corrupt xlsb" message. If I open two instances of Excel 2007, it tells me (like 2002 used to tell me) that personal.xls is locked and can only be opened as read-only.

It seems that 2007 has decided that the old personal.xls is valid and the new one is corrupt. I don't mind which it uses, but the message is annoying, not only for the niggle factor, but also for not knowing why it is behaving like this.

Any thoughts?

I suppose I could delete the .xlsb file, create a new one, copy all my fiddly bits out of the old personal to the new one, but I would like to know why before I do the fix.

Upvote 0
Do you have both workbooks in the same XLSTART directory?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory

They've both ended up in the same XLSTART folder. I suppose I should move the old one and point the old excel to the new location (only because I haven't figured out how to point in the new excel)

Still, not doing anything until you give permission :)

(2007 for 3 days and counting)

Upvote 0
I would put them in separate folders (if you use the XLSTART folders in the Office directory under Program Files, there should be a separate folder for each version) and see what happens. If the .xlsb is still corrupt, then create a new one.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory. They are both currently in C.\Documents and Settings\riazh\application data\Microsoft\Excel.

Will move them on Monday. I need a weekend to recover from this conundrum first.

Have a good weekend.
Riaz

Upvote 0
You too!
The joys of running 2007 with earlier versions are many and varied... ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back