Count Unique values in a filtered Column

webharvest

I have people's names in Cells A9 to A42 and I want to count the number of unique people in the list so I can multiply the number of unique people by 40 and give me the total # of hours I have available in a week given a 40 hour work week.

I came up with the following formula which works great except the name column is filtered so when I select a filter value I get the same number no matter what the filter is set to.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""), IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))>0,1,0))

So I tried the following:
=SUBTOTAL(9,(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""), IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))>0,1,0)))

This doesn't work because I don't think the subtotal function works with an array (not sure about that though).

I also tried something like this
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A9,ROW(A9:A42)-ROW(A9),0)),MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),)),""),(IF(LEN(A9:A42)>0,MATCH(A9:A42,A9:A42,0),""))),1)) and it seemed to work but if the filter value doesn't have the first person in my rows as part of the selection it always comes back with a number 1 higher than it should.

I'm stumped. Is there a way to change the array to a list so the first subtotal function I posted will work or is there a better way altogether to accomplish what I want?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
The general idea is, as I have some "Blank" columns and some other cells which refer to these "Blank" columns, thus "0" will be shown. So I've tried to use <>0 and your formula would also ignore those value. And it works!!!

Anyway, you helped me a lot by your original array formula, big thanks.

No thanks. I don't have time to re-type from an image.

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem with the formula:

"=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(D2,ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2),,1)), IF(D2:D22<>"",MATCH("~"&D2:D22,D2:D22&"",0))),ROW(D2:D22)-ROW(D2)+1),1))"

My data is as shown below. The result I would like to have is the count of unique names in the Counselor when I filter the Recruiter field.
I tried to use the formula but it only gives me a "#VALUE".

I really need your help on this.

COUNSELOR(Filtered)
RECRUITER (Filtered)
CONNIE
FLORESITA
JANEL MARISE
ROE
BERNARDO
NORMA
REBECCA
GRACE
FRANCES ANN
ARVENTO
BRUCE GLENN
RODRIGO
HARRIB VIEN
ROMA
BRUCE GLENN
RODRIGO
HARRIB VIEN
ROMA
ERWIN
LOIDA
BRUCE GLENN
RODRIGO
CONCEPCION
WIL
JULIA
FE
JUDITH
JOCEL
HARRIB VIEN
ROMA
DANA ROANNE
ROMA
LETICIA
ANABEL
LETICIA
ANABEL
JOHN
ILAN
JOHN
ILAN
ADELAI
RUBY
ROSELYN
RUSS
ROSELYN
RUSS
HARRIB VIEN
ROMA
HARRIB VIEN
ROMA
DANI
JOCELYN
WENNIE
JOSEL
DANA ROANNE
ROMA
JOIDA
ELDA
JEMUELL
ELDA
JARA
ROMA
JARA
ROMA
NESTOR
JENN
ORHEL
ROMA
JOIDA
ELDA
LEONROMA

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
@ manu_n87

You need to confirm the formula with control+shift+enter, not just enter, that is, press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. If done successfully, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

Upvote 0
OMG.. Thank you very much Aladin. I was stuck on that formula for almost 4 hours. Great help.

@ manu_n87

You need to confirm the formula with control+shift+enter, not just enter, that is, press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter key. If done successfully, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

Upvote 0
Try

Array formula
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(D2:D37,ROW(D2:D37)-ROW(D2),0,1)),IF(D2:D37<>"",MATCH("~"&D2:D37,D2:D37&"",0))),ROW(D2:D37)-ROW(D2)+1),1))
confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter

EDIT:
Aladin has already provided a solution but you need to adjust the ranges - according your post the data are in rows 2:37; headers in row 1

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Your formula works perfectly for multiple blank rows as well.. Could you please let me know how to get the sum of records instead of count of records.

I have an urgent need for this.

Appreciate your efforts.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John4520

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back