Loop through Jagged Arrays?

peter5678

I have populated a variant that is initially 1D from a worksheet using the Range.Value function. By the Split function this array then become a jagged array leaving me with an array like:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="107"><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"><td class="xl63" style="height:15.0pt;width:80pt" height="20" width="107">f,g,h,k,l</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-height-source:userset;height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">a,b,c,d</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">m,n,o</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">x,4</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">i,y</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td class="xl64" style="height:15.0pt" height="20">r,t
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Now I'm not sure how I can loop through this array to work with individual values?

I tried a For loop but I don't know how to get Ubound to the number of columns of a given row. The numbers of columns varies between 0 and 20 (I'm guessing). As I only occasionally write code it could be very something simple so if anyone has a good reason for jagged arrays in VBA that might be enough.

For reference I am using it as part of a UDF and here is the part of the code I'm using to load it.

Code:
Dim ToGroups As Variant

ToGroups = Range(ToGroupsTop & ":" & ToGroupsBottom).Value

'Splits Togroups string into jagged array & fromgroup into array
'Main index starts at 1 and subarrays start at 0, Sorry!
For index1 = 1 To UBound(ToGroups)
ToGroups(index1, 1) = Split(ToGroups(index1, 1), ",")
Next
Thanks for taking a look at this. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi Peter
Welcome to the board

Try running this code:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim ToGroups As Variant
Dim rToGroupsTop As Range, rToGroupsBottom As Range
Dim lIndex1 As Long, lIndex2 As Long

Set rToGroupsTop = Range("A2")
Set rToGroupsBottom = Range("A4")

ToGroups = Range(rToGroupsTop, rToGroupsBottom).Value

'Splits Togroups string into jagged array & fromgroup into array
'Main index starts at 1 and subarrays start at 0, Sorry!
For lIndex1 = LBound(ToGroups) To UBound(ToGroups)
    ToGroups(lIndex1, 1) = Split(ToGroups(lIndex1, 1), ",")
Next

' loop through the array
For lIndex1 = LBound(ToGroups) To UBound(ToGroups)
    For lIndex2 = LBound(ToGroups(lIndex1, 1)) To UBound(ToGroups(lIndex1, 1))
        MsgBox "Element (" & lIndex1 & ",1)(" & lIndex2 & "): " & ToGroups(lIndex1, 1)(lIndex2)
    Next lIndex2
Next lIndex1
End Sub

I used for the test:

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" style="background:#FFF; border-collapse:collapse;border-width:2px;border-color:#CCCCCC;font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:10pt" ><tr><th style="border-width:1px;border-color:#888888;background:#9CF " > </th><th style="border-width:1px;border-color:#888888;background:#9CF; text-align:center" >A</th><th style="border-width:1px;border-color:#888888;background:#9CF; text-align:center" width=30 >B</th></tr><tr><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;background:#9CF; text-align:center; " ><b>1</b></td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;background:#9CF; text-align:center; " ><b>2</b></td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:left;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; ">a,b</td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;background:#9CF; text-align:center; " ><b>3</b></td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:left;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; ">c</td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;background:#9CF; text-align:center; " ><b>4</b></td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:left;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; ">d,e,f</td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td></tr><tr><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;background:#9CF; text-align:center; " ><b>5</b></td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td><td style="border-width:1px;border-color:#000000; padding-left:0.5em; padding-top:0.4em; padding-right:0.5em; padding-bottom:0.25em;text-align:right;border-width: 1px;border-color:#888888; "> </td></tr><tr><td colspan=3 style="background:#9CF; padding-left:1em" > [Book1.xls]Sheet1</td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
P. S. In the case of the example, since you use the constant 1 for the column value in the first level of the array, it seems you know that the range with the values will always be a vertical vector.

If that's the case you can simplify the code using a unidimensional first level of the array instead of bidimensional.

Like:

Code:
ToGroups = Application.Transpose(Range(rToGroupsTop, rToGroupsBottom).Value)

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll try these two pieces of code later on tonight.

You are right in the way you read the example. I ended up putting in the constant 1 for column value after some frustrating trial and error. It is probably a result of the way I used the filled ToGroups but I could only access the array (even before the split) when I included this. I didn't think I should have had to for what was (in my mind at least) a one-dimensional array but it made it work so I went with it.

P.s. Sorry for my nearly unreadable original post. I thought I had read it over but evidently I was not seeing straight.

Upvote 0
Peter,

On reading this through, is it perhaps something like this code that you could use (tested on your data in post#1)
Code:
Sub jaggedarray()
Dim c(), i, j, k&
For Each i In Range("A2:A7")
    For Each j In Split(i, ",")
        k = k + 1
        ReDim Preserve c(1 To k)
     c(k) = j
Next j, i
Range("C2").Resize(k) = Application.Transpose(c)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you for all your help.

It took me a little while to get back to it this stuff but thanks to your help my UDF is all up and running. In the end I used pieces of both solutions.

Code:
ToGroups = Application.Transpose(Range(rToGroupsTop, rToGroupsBottom).Value)
Proved to be turning point. While I still don't fully understand Range.Value everything now works and I can easily and flexibly address any pieces of the arrays that I would like.

All the best.

Peter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back