Apparently empty (blank) cells aren't empty

daymaker

I exported an access database to an excel spreadsheet. In one of my columns, I need to select or 'go to' all blank fields so that I can then copy data from above field into them. Problem is, the fields (shown below) appear blank, but they aren't. So when I select the column and choose 'Edit | Go To | Special | Blanks | Ok', no blank fields are recognized.

-- removed inline image ---

I read on another site's thread that possibly when exporting empty fields in access file to excel, there is in fact a null string there rather than it actually being empty and this may be spaces.

I am hoping there's a way to possibly identify the true contents of these supposedly blank cells and then to truly empty/clear the contents. Or, I could find all cells that have these invisible characters and 'go to' them & then do my copy step. Any ideas?

Thanks, John

Last edited:
A cell with a formula isn't a blank cell, what are you trying to do with the cell afterwards?
I am referencing 3 cells in total to calculate a ranking using the below formula. Cell reference BO and BP are calculated cells based on other data, which is why some of the cells do not contain text or numbers and only the formula.

=IF(COUNTA(BO3:BP3)=2,COUNTIFS(BO$3:BO$4001,BO3,BO$3:BO$4001,"<>",BL$3:BL$4001,">"&BL3,BP$3:BP$4001,"<>")+1,"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Only on my phone now so can't post a formula but if it is the Countifs part then just put in another criteria with <>""

Upvote 0
Not very clear the first part of the Countifs()

COUNTIFS(BO$3:BO$4001,BO3,BO$3:BO$4001,"<>",...

both are testing BO3:BO4001?

Can't you take the second test out, like

IF(BO3<>"",COUNTIFS(BO$3:BO$4001,BO3,...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have looked alternative formulas and the follow one seems to work an ignores the blank cells with formula I.

IF(AND([@[Regulatory impact]]<>"", [@Volume]<>"",[@[Top 10]]<>""), SUMPRODUCT(--(C3=$C$3:$C$15),--(D3<$D$3:$D$15))+1,"")

The only remaining problem that the ranking order only adjust for D3:D15 and no for C3:C15 or the Top 10 E3:E15. Tried to add another array for E3:E15 but cant get it to work.

Any ideas how I can get the ranking order to go 1,2,3, instead of 1,2,4 when a blank cell is referenced.

Upvote 0
Added data

No
Regulatory impactVolumeTop 10Ranking Expected resultPass/Fail
7Over-reporting700Top 10 Over-reporting11Pass
5Under-reporting500Top 10 Under-reporting22Pass
6Over-reporting600Unscheduled22Pass
10Mis-reporting1000Unscheduled11Pass
4Under-reporting400Top 10 Under-reporting33Pass
9Under-reporting900Unscheduled11Pass
3Under-reporting300Top 10 Under-reporting44Pass
8Under-reporting100Unscheduled55Pass
13Mis-reportingTop 10 Mis-reporting-Pass
12Mis-reporting960-Pass
11Mis-reporting950-Pass
2Mis-reporting200Top 10 Mis-reporting42Fail
1Mis-reporting100-Pass
<colgroup><col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <col width="131" style="width: 98pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4790;"> <col width="68" style="width: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486;"> <col width="152" style="width: 114pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5558;"> <col width="70" style="width: 53pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2560;"> <col width="109" style="width: 82pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3986;"> <col width="64" style="width: 48pt;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back