Non-printing cell border...why?

JoanL

I have a big spreadsheet. All cells have borders, that is, each looks like a box with four black lines around it. EXCEPT, one horizontal line doesn't print....even though it shows on the screen. Anyone have an idea why? No matter what I do, it won't print!

THANKS

Thanks Art, for a thoughtful reply. That is what is so squirrelly about this! I have gone into borders and check all sorts of cells along the row, from above and below. They all look fine. Also, I check that the color is indeed black or auto. No problem there. All I can think of is that it has something to do with the gridlines. I don't know, but the solution is to move everything. YUCK. Thanks for trying anyhow!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi,
Thought I would join the fray.
Have you tried Format Painting a 'good' row to the next?
Even copying a 'good' row to over write the offending row to see if it makes a difference?
Any Hidden row considerations?
Or Conditional formatting?
Just a few shots in the dark.
S

Upvote 0
Okay...This is the WEIRDEST thing, there HAS to be an answer. Here's what's happening now. I had done all the stuff I could think of that are "normal," including (yes) format paiting, checking color of borders, etc. I guess it's relevant to explain that I inherited this file, so I did have to check everything. In between the VERY KIND responses from y'all, I was fiddling around and changed the line width. What did that do? IT MOVED (YES MOVED!) the missing border to another spot on the page. Then I went in and redid all the borders, but rather than do them for the columns being used, I highlighted the whole row. AGAIN, the missing border moved. If this were a DTP program, I would think that there is so object hidden behind, or something. Does this new info help at all? Any more ideas???

THANKS TO YOU ALL (even though I am no closer!)

Upvote 0
It sounds like a glitch in the communication between the printer and computer. If you don't have the option of dealing with drivers and so forth, you might be able to start afresh...

It's kind of brute force, but if you're willing to do the extra steps, I'd try this: copy the tab to a new file (my favorite way is to right-click on the sheet tab, select Move or Copy, select "(new book)" from the drop-down, click the "Create a Copy" check box, and click OK). Then remove ALL formatting -- select All (ctrl-A), Edit/Clear/Formats.

Then, one by one, add your formats back in, starting with the borders. Check your print preview. If it's okay, add other formatting (numbers, bold, wrap-text, etc) back in one at a time, checking print preview after each.

If it works, you can Save As with the original filename. If not, trash the file and come back for an apology for the waste your time... :(

Cath

Upvote 0
I recently had a similar problem...except one vertical border was not printing. Is this a blank cell? If so, try putting a single space in the cell. That fixed my problem...but why it fixed it I do not know.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for such great ideas. Yes, I AM REBUILDING THE FILE FROM SCRATCH. This has to be presented at a big meeting. Obviously, there is a systemic problem that defies Excel knowledge. Wahhhh. Thanks for all your ideas. I will be in the office at 7 a.m. on Monday, formatting, formatting, formatting. There are worse things, I am sure! Happy weekend all!

Upvote 0
You could always take the technical route and use a ruler and pen/pencil to draw the missing line on the printed document.

Upvote 0
Horizontal and Vertical borders disappear in Print Preview

I just had the same problem.

The suggestion above:

"Does the cell without the border contain an entry nearly as wide as the cell? If so, try making the column a bit wider."

Worked for me.

I even made missing horizontal lines reappear by making the row a bit higher.

Strange but true. I tried many times to recreate the spreadsheet to avoid the problem, but when a simple paste created the problem again, I found the answer in this forum and this thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back