VBA to format cell if cell has dependents

rupertlo

Board Regular
(Apologies if this has already been answered, I have search the forum but cannot find an exact answer)

I am looking for VBA which will analyse a cell and format it if it has dependendents within the same Workbook, dependents will not be in the same worksheet as the cell.

In layman terms:

If selected cell has dependents then format cells in a certain way
else nothing

My knowledge of VBA is pretty rudimentary but I can all of it apart from getting VBA to return a positive value to the If in the event that the selected cell has any dependents.

Many thanks.

So, i tried put the button in sheet3 and change the SheetName to "Sheet1" and it works, all the cells that have dependents turned green, but on sheet 3. What I need is that the cells that turns green are the ones on sheet1. Maybe I not have expressed myself very well, thanks for being help me.
Let's make sure you and I are talking about doing the same thing. This is how I understand it... you have formulas on Sheet1 and and you want to highlight the individual formula cells that reference a cell on "Sheet 3"... is that correct? If not, please clarify.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Let's make sure you and I are talking about doing the same thing. This is how I understand it... you have formulas on Sheet1 and and you want to highlight the individual formula cells that reference a cell on "Sheet 3"... is that correct? If not, please clarify.

No, I have values on sheet1. And I have formulas on sheet2, sheet3 and sheet4 that are dependents of sheet1. I want highlight the cells on sheet1 that have dependents on sheet3. if a value on sheet1 has a dependent on sheet2 and sheet4 but not in sheet3, should not be highlighted, just if has a dependent on sheet3.

Upvote 0
No, I have values on sheet1. And I have formulas on sheet2, sheet3 and sheet4 that are dependents of sheet1. I want highlight the cells on sheet1 that have dependents on sheet3. if a value on sheet1 has a dependent on sheet2 and sheet4 but not in sheet3, should not be highlighted, just if has a dependent on sheet3.
Ah, I had it backwards. Okay, I think this will do what you want. Make the sheet with the formulas active (Sheet 3 in your case) and make sure the SheetName variable contains the name of the sheet with the values you want to highlight.
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td][B][COLOR="#00FF00"][COLOR="#008000"]' Run this code from Sheet3... it will color the cells on
' Sheet1 if there is a formula on Sheet3 referencing Sheet1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
Sub HighlightSpecificSheetReferences()
  Dim X As Long, Z As Long, Cell As Range, SheetName As String, Ary() As String
  [B][COLOR="#008000"]' This set the sheets with the values to be colored[/COLOR][/B]
  SheetName = "Sheet1"
  [B][COLOR="#008000"]' Test whether the sheet name need apostrophes around it[/COLOR][/B]
  With Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Offset(1)
    .Formula = "='" & SheetName & "'!A1"
    If InStr(.Formula, "'") Then SheetName = "'" & SheetName & "'"
    For Each Cell In Cells.SpecialCells(xlFormulas)
      If InStr(1, Cell.Formula, SheetName & "!", vbTextCompare) Then
        Ary = Split(Cell.Formula, SheetName & "!")
        For X = 1 To UBound(Ary)
          For Z = 1 To Len(Ary(X) & " ")
            If Mid(Ary(X) & " ", Z, 1) Like "[!A-Za-z0-9]" Then
              Sheets(Replace(SheetName, "'", "")).Range(Left(Ary(X), Z - 1)).Interior.Color = vbGreen
              Exit For
            End If
          Next
        Next
      End If
    Next
    .Clear
  End With
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Ah, I had it backwards. Okay, I think this will do what you want. Make the sheet with the formulas active (Sheet 3 in your case) and make sure the SheetName variable contains the name of the sheet with the values you want to highlight.
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][B][COLOR=#00FF00][COLOR=#008000]' Run this code from Sheet3... it will color the cells on
' Sheet1 if there is a formula on Sheet3 referencing Sheet1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
Sub HighlightSpecificSheetReferences()
  Dim X As Long, Z As Long, Cell As Range, SheetName As String, Ary() As String
  [B][COLOR=#008000]' This set the sheets with the values to be colored[/COLOR][/B]
  SheetName = "Sheet1"
  [B][COLOR=#008000]' Test whether the sheet name need apostrophes around it[/COLOR][/B]
  With Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlRows, xlPrevious).Offset(1)
    .Formula = "='" & SheetName & "'!A1"
    If InStr(.Formula, "'") Then SheetName = "'" & SheetName & "'"
    For Each Cell In Cells.SpecialCells(xlFormulas)
      If InStr(1, Cell.Formula, SheetName & "!", vbTextCompare) Then
        Ary = Split(Cell.Formula, SheetName & "!")
        For X = 1 To UBound(Ary)
          For Z = 1 To Len(Ary(X) & " ")
            If Mid(Ary(X) & " ", Z, 1) Like "[!A-Za-z0-9]" Then
              Sheets(Replace(SheetName, "'", "")).Range(Left(Ary(X), Z - 1)).Interior.Color = vbGreen
              Exit For
            End If
          Next
        Next
      End If
    Next
    .Clear
  End With
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Perfect!

Thank you for the help and patience!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back