VBA Code to Add a Comment to a Cell based on that Cells Content

albert_de

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I do not know VBA and I am hoping that someone may be able to guide me with some coding. I have been searching a solution for a week or so, and they are out there. I just don't know how to apply that coding to my project.

The setup:

1. In Column AN20:AN26, I have a list of abbreviations (e.g. DD, DC, T, etc.)
2. In Column AO20:AO26, I have the definitions for those abbreviations (e.g. Direct Debit, Direct Credit, Transfer,etc.). These are exactly adjacent to the list of abbreviations in Column AN20:AN26
3. In Column B9:B12 and B19:B200, I have a drop down list that contains the abbreviations (e.g. DD, DC, T,etc.) from the list in Column AN20:AN26 (I don't think it matters to this, but these abbreviations have Text and Fill Conditional Format Rules attached to them in this column).

I would like to be able to do the following:

When selecting an abbreviation from the Drop Down List in Column B9:B12 and B19:B200, I would like to automatically assign the matching definition (from Column AO20:AO26) as a Comment in that cell.
e.g.
1. In Cell B9 - DD is selected from the Drop Down List
2. Then, Direct Debit is the automatically added as a comment to Cell B9.

Rules:
1. If a Cell in Column B9:B12 and B19:B200 = empty or is changed to be made empty, then there should be no comment or the existing comment is removed.
2. If a Cell in Column B9:B12 and B19:B200 = contains a selected abbreviation, then the matching definition should be added as a comment in that cell
3. If a Cell in Column B9:B12 and B19:B200, already contains an abbreviation but that abbreviation is changed, then the matching definition of the changed cell should be refreshed to match the changed cell.

Thanks to Member "Akuini", this workbook already has some VBA code in it (Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)). I am hoping to learn how to add your solution to my query to "Akuni's" code.

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back