VBA Code Creates Comments with Username and date/timestamp - Need permanent entries

Kellie220

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
** The Below code I found here, user name Hask123, not my code.** Hask123 found a similar code online and manipulated it to their needs. This seems to be what I need as well, and I need to manipulate it to my needs. I do not have a range but a coulmn I need to use it in. This would be Column A cell 2 through cell 9999 (the whole column A excluding my header). I also need what is put into the cell once it is date/user stamped to not be over road when adding a new comment to the cell. Keep the string of successive comments but make them permanent within the cell. Any suggestion on that? This is for tracking comments on each row of data. We need to track the history of what happens to the data in each row over time (Comment section). We do not want to lose visibility of the previous comments, yet we need to add new comments. Any suggestions? Is this doable?

Code:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim MyTargetRange As Range

Set MyTargetRange = ActiveSheet.Range("E17:E65")

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E17:E65")) Is Nothing Then 'Change this range as appropriate.

If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then

If Len(Target.Formula) > 0 Then

'If comment already exists, add a carriage return, username and timestamp to the current comment value.

If Not Target.Comment Is Nothing Then

With Target.Comment

MyString = Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd mmm yy hh:mm")

.Text Text:=Target.Comment.Text & Chr(10) & Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd-mmm-yy hh:mm")

With .Shape.TextFrame

.Characters(1, .Characters.Count).Font.Bold = False 'make the whole comment non-bold

'.Characters(InStrRev(Target.Comment.Text, Environ("USERNAME")), Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True 'Make Bold the LAST occurrence of USERNAME

.AutoSize = True

End With

End With

'If there is no comment yet, create one and add username and timestamp

Else

With Target

.AddComment

With .Comment

.Shape.AutoShapeType = msoShapeRoundedRectangle

.Text Text:=Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd-mmm-yy hh:mm")

With .Shape.TextFrame

'.Characters(1, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True

.AutoSize = True

End With

End With

End With

End If

'Embolden each occurrence of Environ("USERNAME") in each comment in E17:E55

For Each cCom In ActiveSheet.Range("E17:E65").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)

With Cells(cCom.Row, cCom.Column).Comment.Shape.TextFrame

For i = 1 To Len(cCom.Comment.Text) Step 1[/CODE]
[/CODE]

If Mid(cCom.Comment.Text, i, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))) = Environ("USERNAME") Then

.Characters(i, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True

End If

Next i

End With

Next cCom

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Please do not share files privately all communication must remain on the board for all to see as per rule#4
If you wish to share files, they must be placed on a cloud site, shared publicly & the link posted to the thread.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Please do not share files privately all communication must remain on the board for all to see as per rule#4
If you wish to share files, they must be placed on a cloud site, shared publicly & the link posted to the thread.
Thanks
Ok, thank you will do so! :)

Upvote 0
If the only use for column A is for comments, then changing the range in the last procedure that I sent should do what you want.
VBA Code:
    'Change this range as appropriate.
    Set rngToAudit = ActiveSheet.Columns("B:F")
The users change whatever they want in columns B to F, and then they have the opportunity to add a comment in column A.
Hi, I have been testing these codes out. I really did not know it was going to be trickier than I thought. A side note, when we refresh our data, sometimes the rows shift. Some delete and others are added. We do have a unique identifier that typically we index match to the comments. what is in Column A row 2 might now be in Column A row 25. SO I guess the plot thickens. Maybe this might not be something that is doable.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have been testing these codes out. I really did not know it was going to be trickier than I thought. A side note, when we refresh our data, sometimes the rows shift. Some delete and others are added. We do have a unique identifier that typically we index match to the comments. what is in Column A row 2 might now be in Column A row 25. SO I guess the plot thickens. Maybe this might not be something that is doable.
Hi how do I get on the board an my code to play

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back