Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Filtering filtered data

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After autofiltering data and while the autofilter is open, is there any way to refilter the data. For example, after filtering 100 rows down to 5 rows, I would like to find the second highest of the five (not the second highest of the original 100).

I know it can be done by copying and pasting the filtered data to another sheet and then running the large function to find the second largest. I would prefer a simpler and more elegant way to do this. The result of this operation will be assigned to a variable and then no further use is needed for the filtered data.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can filter in cascade as many time as you wish on the same data set. The new custom conditions are going to be applied on the filtered data set.

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tanda:
    To elaborate what Corni mentioned, following is a step by step approach to get the TOP values from filtered dataset
    1) let us say I have my original data in cells G7 through G12

original data

2) I want to filter this data with a custom filter applied so that rows with >=43 are selected ... my filtered data is shown below

3) now I want to pick up the TOP three values from this filtered selection -- my selection is hown below

4) I can even go a step further and sort this select list, say in descending order to see my list from largest of the three, then the next largest, and so on -- my sorted TOP three list is shown below

I apologize if it is too much detail for you.
    HTH
    Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there!

Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others