Is it possible to do a multiple Filter-sort?

FrumpyJones

So while I know, ultimately, that I can do what I'm about to ask with a custom sort, I have a shared spreadsheet that is constantly having rows added, and deleted (I.E. they add to the bottom, but might just delete row 5), which means that I would have to redo the custom sort EVERY TIME I HAVE TO WORK THE FILE (Also, this file is LARGE, and I'm worried about both not getting all the data and shuffling stuff, and doing a sort when someone else is editing (Not even sure if I need to worry about that, but I do)).

So, with the preamble and multiple parentheses out of the way, is there a way to do multiple filter-sort similar to the way you use custom sort (That is, have it filter-sort a-z in column C, then filter sort z-a in Column A, but maintain the priority structure like you do in custom sort).

I also know I can pivot table to see the data I'm looking for ultimately, but I was just hoping for a way to be able to edit based off the filter-sort Hopefully this image below helps explain if I did a horrible job typing it out:

Step0.png

Step1.png

Step2.png

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
If you load this table into Power Query you can sort by Supervisor first, and then by Name.

Here is a link to help you.

1711641813243.png

Upvote 0
If you have a recent XL version ( your profile does not say) FILTER and SORTBY functions are available

Upvote 0
How about using Sort Dialog which is on Data Ribbon - see screenshot.

Edit: If it is sorted other way than you need, please use reversed sequence - topmost name then supervisor

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2024-03-28 170746.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2024-03-28 170746.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back