Substituting for sequential parameters

akaushal

First time posting so I hope I'm getting it right. I have a complicated spreadsheet for which I'm going to describe a simplified version here, in order to illustrate a challenge I'm having.

Imagine we have rows 1 to 5 and columns A to F

Column D is always some ratio of columns A, B, and C in the same row.

So D1 can be A1/B1 or A1/C1 or B1/A1 or B1/C1 or......etc.

Likewise D2 can be A2/B2 or A2/C2 or.....etc.

Column E displays the formula from column D. I used "FORMULATEXT" or alternatively a VBA I found on this forum called ShowF
<code class="vb keyword">Function</code> <code class="vb plain">ShowF(Rng </code><code class="vb keyword">As</code> <code class="vb plain">Range)</code>
<code class="vb plain">ShowF = Rng.Formula</code>
<code class="vb keyword">End</code> <code class="vb keyword">Function</code>

So the cells in column E are text values like A3/B3 or B15/C15

I'd like to create column F so that I am only getting the ratio without the row numbers included. So I'd like F1 to display A/B or B/C or B/A, etc....

The problem with SUBSTITUTE or REPLACE is that the parameter, like "A3", is in quotes, so it doesn't become "A4" when I drag it down to the next row. It remains "A3" when I try to drag it down to the next row.

Is there some kind of nested function or a VBA script that would be able to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Welcome to the forum.

Certainly not pretty, but this formula in F1 should work:

ABCDEF
111-21=A1/B1=A/B
223-11.5=B2/A2=B/A
33500=C3/B3=C/B
44711.5=B2/A2=B/A
55922.5=A5/C5=A/C

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E1=FORMULATEXT(D1)
F1=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(E1,"0",""),"1",""),"2",""),"3",""),"4",""),"5",""),"6",""),"7",""),"8",""),"9","")

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Consider the following user defined function

Code:
Public Function NoNumbers(inpt As String) As String
    Dim i As Long

NoNumbers = ""
    For i = 1 To Len(inpt)
        If Not IsNumeric(Mid(inpt, i, 1)) Then NoNumbers = NoNumbers & Mid(inpt, i, 1)
    Next i
End Function

If a cell contains:

A12/Z657

the function will return:

A/Z

If the cell begins with an equal sign, that will also be retained.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eric,

Thank you. That's just awesome. I love leveraging simple formulas to get big jobs done. I don't have the "Excel vision" yet to have a mental picture of the nested functions, and I hope to develop that as I get more experience. It would be nice to have that mental roadmap of where I need to go.

I made a mistake in my initial post above. The formula for column D is not ALWAYS a ratio of A,B, and C. Occasionally the value in Column D is one of the first three columns (A, b, or C) divided by an integer. For example, A/10 or B/44.

I think the elegant formula you provided might pull out the occasional integer in the bottom of the fraction.

I know this makes it a more complicated issue. I think the answer falls into one of two categories:

Option 1. Substitute sequential parameters: In row 1 the function substitutes A, B, and C, in place of A1, B1, and C1. And in row 2 the function substitutes A, B, and C, in place of A2, B2, and C2. I couldn't figure out how to do that because the parameters "A1" etc are in quotes, the SUBSTITUTE function won't change "A1" to "A2" when I drag it down.

Option 2. A function that finds the cell identification within a string, and removed the numerical part of it. For example if the value was A1/B1, the function would find "A1" and remove the "1" and then the function would find "B1" and remove the "1". IN the case of A1/44, the function would find "A1" and remove the "1" but leave the "44" alone.

There are ~6000 lines of data so it gets tedious to do it manually.

Thanks again for the quick and friendly response. I thought I had the same solution as you (although I went column-by-column because I can't picture the nesting yet) - and the confounding factor was that some of the values are divided by integers.

Kind Regards,

AK

Upvote 0
I was wondering if there was some combination of functions, nesting, or other manipulations I might not be able to picture, that someone with more experience can see the clear pathway.

Thanks again,

AK

Upvote 0
Like this?

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(E1,"A"&ROW(),"A"),"B"&ROW(),"B"),"C"&ROW(),"C"),"=","")

Upvote 0
Oh Jee I'm sorry. The answer for A1/10 or B1/44 should be A/10 and B/44. In my primitive option 2 above, the solution would be able to find the "A!" or the "B1" and eliminate the "1"s without messing with the denominator 10 or 44.

Upvote 0
Thanks Tetra201. I'm trying your solution. My Excel hung up around 11K lines........let's give it a couple minutes to think things through.

Upvote 0
I believe this UDF will do what you want...
Code:
Function NoNumRefs(Cell As Range) As String
  Dim S() As String
  S = Split(Mid(Cell.Formula, 2), "/")
  S(0) = Split(Range(S(0)).Address, "$")(1)
  If S(1) Like "*[A-Za-z]#*" Then S(1) = Split(Range(S(1)).Address, "$")(1)
  NoNumRefs = Join(S, "/")
End Function
Just put the code in a general module (where macro get installed) and then, assuming Eric W's layout from Message #2, put this formula in a cell F1 and copy it down...

=NoNumRefs(E1)

Upvote 0
Now here is where it gets a bit sticky. The more exceptions you have, the tougher it is to get a valid formula. I came up with a formula that works, but ONLY if your formulas in E follow this format exactly:

= something / something

The = and / are required, if they are not there, it won't work right. And it only works for 1-letter columns. If you have more complicated formulas, then you'll probably need a UDF like Rick's or Gary's Student.

ABCDEFG
111-21=A1/B1=A/BA/B
223-11.5=B2/A2=B/AB/A
33500.272727=B2/11=B/11B/11
44710.25=C4/A4=C/AC/A
55922.5=A5/C5=A/CA/C

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D1=A1/B1
D2=B2/A2
D3=B2/11
D4=C4/A4
D5=A5/C5
E1=FORMULATEXT(D1)
F1=IF(ISERROR(MID(E1,2,1)+0),"="&MID(E1,2,1)&"/",LEFT(E1,FIND("/",E1)))&IF(ISERROR(MID(E1,FIND("/",E1)+1,1)+0),MID(E1,FIND("/",E1)+1,1),MID(E1,FIND("/",E1)+1,99))
G1=nonumrefs(D1)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Rick, did you mean

=NoNumRefs(D1)

not E1?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back