The Masters Live Scoring

jlhoover3

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all!

I have been importing external data to an excel sheet for years, but websites change. I am having problems pulling information from a live golf leaderboard to an excel sheet. Since most is using a java script leaderboard, my old program won't work anymore. I was wondering if anybody had ideas how to pull a live leaderboard from anywhere?

I used to use ESPN (2017 Masters Tournament Golf Leaderboard and Results- ESPN)

But willing to use anything that keeps the scores live.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
PowerQuery works with the Golf Channel's website. This is the M-code for PQ.

let
Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.golfchannel.com/tours/pga-tour/2017/masters-tournament/")),
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data0,{{"", type text}, {"POS", type text}, {"MOV", type text}, {"PLAYER", type text}, {"OVERALL", type text}, {"THRU", type text}, {"RND", type text}, {"R1", type text}, {"R2", type text}, {"R3", type text}, {"R4", type text}, {"TOT", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"", "MOV"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each ([POS] <> "typeof(mps)=='object' && typeof(mps.getAd)=='function' && document.write(mps.getAd('midbanner1'));#(cr)#(lf)mps._execAd(""midbanner1"");" and [POS] <> "typeof(mps)=='object' && typeof(mps.getAd)=='function' && document.write(mps.getAd('midbanner2'));#(cr)#(lf)mps._execAd(""midbanner2"");")),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows",null,"",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"R1"}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",null,"",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"R2", "R3", "R4", "TOT"})
in
#"Replaced Value1"

Upvote 0
Any chance someone can walk me through setting this up in Excel 2016. I have built a pretty comprehensive worksheet for golf pools....this would essentially automate the whole thing, but I have never used power query.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, if you've never used PQ, you could acquire the fundamental knowledge by watching these and other videos on the excellent ExcelIsFun and MrExcel channels on youtube. Focus on the way fields (i.e., columns) are manipulated to tease out just the data you require from website sources.

I was able to load the relevant table from The Golf Channel's website and manipulate the data to make an Excel table for 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsY9yb7Fm8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGFPF12Qwc&list=PLrRPvpgDmw0m3ohSvgwoHvd0KO8QsQdiK

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've actually got it working in Google Sheets, but I would rather have it running in Excel, so I will take your advice here. Does it automatically refresh the data for you every few minutes?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've actually got it working in Google Sheets, but I would rather have it running in Excel, so I will take your advice here. Does it automatically refresh the data for you every few minutes?

Were you able to complete this? I would like to do the same thing but need guidance. I am watching the videos on Youtube now. thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back