Likes Likes:  0

Thread: indirect table relationship question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink indirect table relationship question

Hello, I am just starting to learn about databases and MS Access. I have a question

I have 6 tables tblBlanks, tblPowder, tblProcesses, tblTypes, tblColors, and tblProcessCategories

tblTypes has a one to many relationship with tblBlanks through TypeID field.
    tblBlanks has a one to many relationship with tblPowder through BlankID field.
    tblPowder has a one to many relationship with tblProcesses though PowderID field.
    tblColors has a one to many relationship with tblPowder through ColorID field
    tblProcessCategories has a one to many relationship with tblProcesses

Example

Type --------> Blank----------->Powder----------------->Processes
    Woodbinders 9K150TDH0Z 9K150TKH0PS WT02 9K150TKH0PS WT02-250
    | |
    Color Process
    WT02 250

This is my question. Do I have to have TypeID field in tblPowder and tblProcess
    or since tblBlank has it and its related to tblPowder and its related to tblProcess does the type follow the record?

Any help is appreciated Thanks

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: indirect table relationship question

As long as you can create a chain/path from tableA to tableZ by connecting the PK and FK fields, you don't need to (and shouldn't) duplicate fields in other tables unnecessarily. The main danger is that values can be edited in one place but not the other(s) but it's not always avoidable. FYI - you don't have to create relationships at all for the db to work - it does facilitate query design though.

From what I can see, you should be OK thus far, but it's easy to validate by testing scenarios with queries. Looks to me like you could get all Types that have a ColorID of 1 (or whatever). However, tblTypes (and maybe others) look like they're lookup tables, which typically aren't connected to anything.
    Last edited by Micron; Dec 7th, 2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: clarification
    Tips for posting problems:
    1) "doesn't work" doesn't help. Post error message text/numbers and/or state what's happening.
    2) if posting code or sql, use code tags; specify on which code line errors occur, if applicable
    3) try to be specific; assume we know nothing about your issue - because we don't!

Make all suggested changes in copies of your database or to its objects.

"1 out of 1010 people understand binary. The other 1001 don't."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: indirect table relationship question

hi all, my name is Arsen...... I am a new member here......... )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site.........

User Tag List